Penetrating fluid secrets

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
Hey guys,

Looking for the best penetrating fluid, I use and buy PB Blaster by the case it seems but some say it’s not the best.

So what’s the best penetrating fluid mixture or brand.

Thanks

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #2  
ATF and acetone 50/50 mix with spray bottles of your choice. A gallon of acetone runs around $17 and a quart of ATF is around $5. Just make sure to store out of direct sunlight and you will need to keep mixing the bottle once formulated. I went this route after using PB Blaster and Kroil. Just as good and about 20% the cost.

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #3  
Sorry guys, new person here and from down under, what is ATF?

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #5  
One word...KROIL.

Both big pharma plants that I've worked rely heavily on the stuff when there is a $1.5MM tank of product waiting to be packaged and our filler is down due to a stuck bolt.

Buy it at NAPA or direct from the manufacturer, Kano Laboratories.

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #6  
ATF and acetone 50/50 mix with spray bottles of your choice. A gallon of acetone runs around $17 and a quart of ATF is around $5. Just make sure to store out of direct sunlight and you will need to keep mixing the bottle once formulated. I went this route after using PB Blaster and Kroil. Just as good and about 20% the cost.

+1 on the 50/50 acetone and ATF. In the comparison study I saw, it came out on top. It was done by Machinist痴 Workshop Magazine April 2007.

I also use Liquid Wrench. It works okay.

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #7  
I agree on the Kroil. A friend of mine is an aircraft mechanic for a major airline and told me about it awhile back. He swears by it and after using it for the last 10 years or so, I have to agree with him.

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #8  
Acetone and atm (or really any light oil that will disolve and be carried by the acetone) is the best hands down.

BUT......its not without drawbacks.

Acetone will attack many rubbers and plastics as well as paint. So if you are working on an old rusty piece of farm equipment......acetone/ATF is the go-to.

If you are working on something in an engine bay (with lots of paint, rubber, and plastic)......kroil is the next best thing to the mixture above

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #9  
Acetone and atm (or really any light oil that will disolve and be carried by the acetone) is the best hands down.

BUT......its not without drawbacks.

Acetone will attack many rubbers and plastics as well as paint. So if you are working on an old rusty piece of farm equipment......acetone/ATF is the go-to.

If you are working on something in an engine bay (with lots of paint, rubber, and plastic)......kroil is the next best thing to the mixture above

I agree.
Best answer I know of.

When you ask what is best, well it depends.

/ Penetrating fluid secrets #10  
There are a few industrial versions and everyone has their favorite. I'm with the Kroil crowd and use Aerokroil. It gets in there and works. It is a good company too. They have an introductory deal , probably several that you could search for. I grabbed this from garage journal user gdocktor3 .Click the box at top for google deal. 2 cans for $14, plus $5 shipping. It's worth the $20. They also have a bogo deal where you can try any two cans for price of one. Google-Deal Order Page
Trial Order Form - Silikroil