Diesel fuel question

/ Diesel fuel question #91  
Talked to the oil company, In NH home heating oil is NOT ultra low sulfur could be over 500ppm

/ Diesel fuel question #92  
Peter 315 you are 100% correct. On road diesel and off road diesel both have a sulfur content of 15ppm.

/ Diesel fuel question #93  
You might want to read your owners manual and go from there.

My fuel supplier adds the dye to the same diesel they supply for on road as they pump it into my storage tanks. That said, they told me the lowest bio mix available in our parts is 5% so straight up diesel is not available to me. I think at 5% they can get a tax credit without having to label the dispensers as bio diesel but not sure about that.

The nearby truck stop sells off road diesel but their dispenser says it's 15% bio diesel. I've read pro and con opinions on bio diesel but I tend to shy away from it.

1: Follow the MFG's recommendation for your equipment.
2: Run fuel that is appropriate for your climate and time of year.
3: Use additives to improve performance and protection as needed.

My stuff is all old so I add Stanodyne Lubricity Formula at fill. I also use Killum Biocide and this year I added another additive to protect again gelling because it snowed here.

/ Diesel fuel question #94  

My fuel supplier adds the dye to the same diesel they supply for on road as they pump it into my storage tanks. That said, they told me the lowest bio mix available in our parts is 5% so straight up diesel is not available to me. I think at 5% they can get a tax credit without having to label the dispensers as bio diesel but not sure about that.

The nearby truck stop sells off road diesel but their dispenser says it's 15% bio diesel. I've read pro and con opinions on bio diesel but I tend to shy away from it.

My stuff is all old so I add Stanodyne Lubricity Formula at fill. I also use Killum Biocide and this year I added another additive to protect again gelling because it snowed here.

Can't help but tease you. Did everybody freak out when it snowed??? Forty years ago I was in Southern Oklahoma and it snowed a solid foot of heavy wet snow. The whole town shut down!!!! :D

/ Diesel fuel question #95  

I have been using about 20,000 gallons of diesel a year for all of this century, and since about 2005, almost all of it has been B5 to B20. Have had no issues with it whatsoever for engine that were made in the 90's on up thru newer stuff. Some more frequent fuel filter changes in cold weather, but that has been primarily with the onset of ULSD, and most of the time it was not gelling, but icing from water. I use visual bowl fuel filters and I probably have had to change filters a little earlier on occasion because of increased plugging, and that could indeed be due to bio in cooler weather. One of my engines has 17,128 hrs on it and all it has gotten is biodiesel of 5% to 20% its entire life. Runs great and just got a used oil sample report in today for it and it looks as good as when the engine only had 500 hrs on it. Original turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc. Only thing the engine has had is new exhaust manifold bolts.

Retailers are not required to label the pumps for bio if 5% or less. And one major positive for bio, it adds back far more lubricity than anything on the shelf you can add to diesel, and it improves the cetane rating of diesel also.