Diesel fuel question

/ Diesel fuel question #1  

nickc

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 2305
Is red dye off road fuel safe to use in a tier 4 engine ?

/ Diesel fuel question #2  
Yes. It’s simply dyed because it is not taxed like fuel for on-road vehicles. But some brands of off-Road may not have the additive packages the same as the on-road which may affect lubricity of the diesel. I use Optilube XPS all the time for that reason or Power Service white bottle if needed for that reason.

/ Diesel fuel question #3  
Yes. It’s the same fuel just with dye to indicate that no road tax has been collected.

/ Diesel fuel question
thank you, I wasn't sure if it had a higher sulfur content.

/ Diesel fuel question #5  
I asked the very same question to a farmer last week. He won't run it because he feels that it clogs up his fuel system, and says that the dye separates out with time. I only put about 150 hours on per year, (75 gallons) so given the miniscule price difference it isn't worth taking a chance. Even my '84 L275 ran cleaner when they came out with the low sulfer, although it took a while to get accustomed to the "soapy" smell.

/ Diesel fuel question #6  
Only tractor fuel problem I ever had since 2004 is ONE TIME when I got some off road diesel. Normally just buy on road in case I need some for my car (but don't have a car or pickup with diesel now, only tractor and generator).

Anyway, that stuff precipitated some wax globs that partly plugged the fuel outlet from the tank. Had to siphon out the fuel and then fish the globs out.

Ralph

/ Diesel fuel question #7  
I just run on road fuel with power service . The truck stop near me goes through a lot of fuel and has new tanks

/ Diesel fuel question #8  
I am always amazed at people thinking that off road diesel is different than on road diesel. What most people don't know is the dye is dumped into the tank of the delivery truck at the time that they fill the truck to go delivery. Or some trucks have a separate tank were the dye is stored, and is injected into the diesel as it is being pumped into the storage tank at the delivery point, being the farm or fuel station.

/ Diesel fuel question #9  
I don't know what they use now, but back in the 50'and 60's the fuel delivery guy would just dump in a small packet of powdered dye in the farm gasoline when it was delivered. It dissolved completely in the gas. All the fuel on the delivery truck was on road and when he pumped off road, he merely put the dye in it. Back then, none of the diesel had to be dyed since there were few to any diesel on road vehicles around.

/ Diesel fuel question #10  
Yes. It’s simply dyed because it is not taxed like fuel for on-road vehicles. But some brands of off-Road may not have the additive packages the same as the on-road which may affect lubricity of the diesel. I use Optilube XPS all the time for that reason or Power Service white bottle if needed for that reason.

I have no idea how this internet myth came to be that "some off road diesel is not the same as on road" since it all comes from the same refinery and in most cases from the same bulk tank. Any difference would only be if the bulk distributor did not switch over from summer blend to winter blend in a timely manner. Summer blend fuel might then get delivered for winter use. Mostly I would think using summer blend in winter would be the fault of the homeowner who may have some summer blend stored for long periods and used it in winter time. For those of you who buy bulk fuel, it would be best to buy it in winter so you can use it all year long. Winter blend does have a bit less stored energy than summer blend but not so much that you would notice it in your CUT.

So NO there is no difference in the two fuels quality wise and either one will work just as well. You will just pay about $.40 a gallon more for on road due to the taxes.