Deere polyurea grease

/ Deere polyurea grease #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Virtually every Deere machine I have says in the manual to use the polyurea grease. This is for pins and bushings on dozers, excavators, backhoes, skid steers etc. No mention at all of the moly grease even though Deere makes a moly grease. I go to my local Deere construction dealer and if you ask for grease they give you moly. They say they sell it to everyone and hardly ever sell the polyurea. I have always thought moly was best in these applications but why do no owners manuals recommend it?

/ Deere polyurea grease #2  
I had the same question when I bought my tractor and found the same issue you did of dealers pushing moly even though JD highly recommends their poly, maybe moly is a solution looking for a problem. I decided to use what it came from the factory with (poly) and order a case whenever I run low, although I rarely use more than three tubes a year. Attached is detailed specs for all of the older Deere greases and you will see poly is compatible with most grease while moly is not. This was important to me as I lubricate everything I own that requires grease with JD poly.

View attachment JDgreaseDKD1688revGrease.pdf

/ Deere polyurea grease #3  
I have several hand grease guns in a plastic 5 gallon bucket. Also in there are spare tubes of grease, a roll of rags, and JD's metric and imperial zerk kits.

I use JD SD poly for most zerks. If I'm working the loader or hoe in water I'll tend to use either the JD Corn Head or HD Waterproof grease. JD Corn Head grease is also a polyurea....not that it matters on bucket pivots.

I have one gun loaded with that horrid sticky black-staining moly grease which is only used rarely and sparingly for joints that begin to squeak. Sometimes the backhoe swing pivot will squeak in spite of being greased with polyurea regularly. Then it gets a shot moly grease which always fixes it. Not needed for most applications, though.
rScotty

/ Deere polyurea grease #4  
I had the same question when I bought my tractor and found the same issue you did of dealers pushing moly even though JD highly recommends their poly, maybe moly is a solution looking for a problem. I decided to use what it came from the factory with (poly) and order a case whenever I run low, although I rarely use more than three tubes a year. Attached is detailed specs for all of the older Deere greases and you will see poly is compatible with most grease while moly is not. This was important to me as I lubricate everything I own that requires grease with JD poly.

View attachment 539341

Hi, I also am trying to decide which grease to use on my John Deere 455G loader as well as Ford 1520 tractor . This chart does not list the Special-Purpose Calcium Sulfonate Grease with 5% Moly - TY27373 (construction equipment) grease.
That is the grease I am thinking of trying. I currently have a case of the TY6333 (3% moly) but after I purchased and began using I read it drys out easily.
I also noticed the price has decreased dramatically on the TY27373, it was about $12 a cartridge, now it is approx. $6.
AS someone mentioned and I can attest, the TY6333 with 3% moly is black and messy. Thanks Johnny Walker

/ Deere polyurea grease #5  
I used the Deere moly grease on my old tractor, and couldn't wait to use it all up. That stuff stained everything, and kept doing that for months after I had switched to another grease. Seemed like every time I greased, more old black moly would get pushed out. The moly stuff is technically better for bearings/pins under load, but I don't think it's that critical for most of our tractor uses, and it's so messy it's a pain to work with. As my wife will tell you, I don't normally care about how I look or getting my work clothes dirty, and I don't bother cleaning my tractor very often, but having moly grease on all my tractor lube points even made me feel messy. Years later, the moly stains in my work clothes are still there.

/ Deere polyurea grease #6  
Both JD and Kubota have gone to Poly as their recommended grease for everything. Look at the bottom of this page for similar threads for discussions on this same topic. I think Sixdogs did a little research and talked to a JD dealer after seeing his Kubota recommendation.

/ Deere polyurea grease
But what is strange is if you read the PDF Beltzington posted

Polyurea:
• Ideal in rolling contact applications.
• –15° to 350°F (–26° to 177°C).
• For high-temperature, extreme-pressure conditions.
• Used for initial lubrication in U-joints and axle bearings at the factory.
• Excellent protection in corrosive and wet conditions.
• Compatible with most other types of grease.
• For all-purpose applications, especially those requiring a severe- duty grease.
• Our best multi-purpose grease.

Special purpose HD Moly
• Premium high-quality grease.
• –10° to 350°F (–23° to 177°C).
• For use with pins, bushings, and ball joints.
• For use where shock load and sliding contact are continuous.
• For chain, cable, and conveyor lubrication.
• For applications where pitting, scoring, and wear failures are a problem.
• For high-temperature and extreme-pressure conditions.
• Compatible with lithium, aluminum, and calcium greases.

Isn't virtually everything we grease on our tractors or especially construction equipment pins, bushings, and ball joints?

The owners manuals state Polyurea. Their own literature makes no mention of pins and bushings as an application for Polyurea but it definitely lists them for the HD Moly.

/ Deere polyurea grease #8  
The poly Deere grease is great for loader pins and bushings because it is thick and sticky. My formerly sloppy buckets tighten up like new with poly so that's what I use. I also use it for other things but do use the lith-moly blend on some high speed bearings like my mower and such. Pure lithium seems to be fading from the scene and I don't think Kubota even sells it any more. I have two cases left and only use it on implements.

My dealer is a huge place that does big ag tractors and loads of construction equipment and the parts guy says they sell about 85% poly grease. Seems like the future will be poly and moly.

In short, I love Deere poly urea grease for most all uses.

/ Deere polyurea grease #10  
I used the Deere moly grease on my old tractor, and couldn't wait to use it all up. That stuff stained everything, and kept doing that for months after I had switched to another grease. Seemed like every time I greased, more old black moly would get pushed out. The moly stuff is technically better for bearings/pins under load, but I don't think it's that critical for most of our tractor uses, and it's so messy it's a pain to work with. As my wife will tell you, I don't normally care about how I look or getting my work clothes dirty, and I don't bother cleaning my tractor very often, but having moly grease on all my tractor lube points even made me feel messy. Years later, the moly stains in my work clothes are still there.

That's the same way I feel about the moly grease. The lowest swing pivots on the backhoe are under tremendous load all the time. They do benefit from moly grease so I use it there but nowhere else.
rScotty