PCV system

/ PCV system #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
There's a discussion going on in the Miata.net forum about PCV system. Got me wondering what our newer tractors have.

Turns out our JD 2025R just has the old draft tube. Not even sure where it is. Will have to go out there and look for it.

Anyone ever routed the thing to the air cleaner area or just downstream of it? That's where it went on our 1983 240D we had until 26 years old. It had a line off the valve cover into a rubberish pot that routed the gases to the air cleaner and drained any oil to the crankcase.

On Mazdas, it turns out they have a PCV valve line that runs directly from the crankcase to the intake manifold. Then they have an air purge taken off after the air cleaner over to a valve cover. That's a very good idea: to purge that acidic gas (CO2 + H2O mostly) out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold.

Do maybe the Tier 4 or larger engined tractors have a better system?

Ralph

/ PCV system
No Tier 4 owners know what they have for a PCV system?

Everyone else is happy to have acidic air spewed into the atmosphere; I guess.

Ralph

/ PCV system #3  
I commend you for wanting less pollution.

One problem with PCV on diesels is if you get enough oil in the blowby the engine will run off that and not shut down. Should probably have an oil separator of some kind.
Tier 4 for under 75hp is only concerned with particulates, not other emissions.

/ PCV system
Thought this rather odd that our tractors have continued to use draft tubes. PCVs were the first pollution device to go on cars and pickups way back about 1960.

I still remember seeing some old vehicles with smoke pouring out of those draft tubes. Never really noticed them on our little tractors or even on the lawn mowers because non of them have really ever smoked.

I find it odd that our tractors can go to recommended 200 hour (almost equivalent of 10k miles at 50 mph) and still have all that acidic air above the air sump. Good reason to change once/year if you don't do the 200 hours.

Ralph

/ PCV system #5  

One problem with PCV on diesels is if you get enough oil in the blowby the engine will run off that and not shut down. Should probably have an oil separator of some kind.

Tier 4 is concerned with more than particulates! These new tractors have EGR systems to knock down NOx.

/ PCV system #7  

With diesels, that is key. The major heavy duty diesel OEM's have CCV/PCV oil separator filtration units on them right from the factory. That oily concoction coming from the engine inside and being fed into the intake along with that sooty EGR mess makes for a very interesting paste buildup in the intake and on valves.

Other diesel OEM's, it is a hit or miss deal. If they don't do it, then the owner really needs to consider an aftermarket filtration setup, like ProVent. Even the pickup EOM's it is hit or miss. Not sure about Ford, but the Cummins in the Dodge has CCV oil separation units on them. The Dmax in the GM stuff does not.

If it has some form of CCV/PCV setup, then make sure it is filtered. If it vents to the air like the earlier diesels, then forget it.

/ PCV system

Our 1983 240D that we ran to 230k miles and 25 years had EGR and a PCV (or CCV, not sure exactly what it was called) that was pretty much just a rubberish pot that the crankcase gases went into with a drain back to the crankcase and with the vapors going to the air filter housing. These were the only pollution controls on it.

Ralph

/ PCV system #9  
Wow. I had never seen a diesel with EGR prior to 2003. And that was highway engines. And no CCV till 2007. I had a 2006 Cummins ISX 15L that had EGR, but still vented crankcase to the air. My 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel did have both EGR and CCV, but I modified it so there was no problem of oil being dumped into intake and intercooler. My 2000 Detroit 12.7L doesn't have EGR or CCV, and neither did the 1996 Cummins N-14 that it replaced. I suppose some OEM might have applied it to their diesel prior to 2003, but it would be extremely rare.