Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I just added another hungry mouth to the stable (a 1999 Dodge Cummings 2500) Between my tractor, My kubota RTV, and now this, I need to step away from Mobile One and go toward a more economical solution.

So how do you all deal with 5 gallon buckets of oil when putting it into a machine. I am struggling with how to make sure I don't over fill the machine. Any decent pumps that are not bank breaking or any other ideas on how you guys handle it.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #2  
Fill Rite used to have a nice little oi bucket pump that was abs and would screw onto the flex spout and had a short section of clear tubing on it Coastal Farm or Wilco used to have them and they were in the $30 range.

Harbor Freight has a slightly upgraded version with a metal pump barrel pretty cheap.

5 Gallon Oil Pump

David

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #3  
My tractor takes 16+ gallons of hydraulic oil per change. I've got a funnel with a looooong flex neck. Brings the body of the funnel up where its easy to pour from the five gallon bucket. I "hang" the funnel off the back of the tractor seat with a chunk of wire. Funnel held in place - pull out the spout from the first five gallon pail and pour away. Three five's plus a one gallon jug - check with the dip stick and add from a one quart jug as needed.

Its gotta be easier for you to do something like this than it is for me - I'm 76 and have no problems.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #5  
I have not noticed much price difference in 1 gallon vs 5 gallon jugs. I would just buy 1 gallon jugs for easier use. They often come in cardboard boxes of three jugs which are easy to transport.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #6  
I have not noticed much price difference in 1 gallon vs 5 gallon jugs. I would just buy 1 gallon jugs for easier use. They often come in cardboard boxes of three jugs which are easy to transport.

^This. I noticed not long ago at Walmart that their Shell Rotella T-4 15W40 was selling for $12.78 per gallon. There were 5-gallon buckets of the same oil right beside it -but when I divided the price by 5 it worked out to nearly $2 a gallon more than buying the 1 gallon jugs.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #7  
Fill Rite used to have a nice little oi bucket pump that was abs and would screw onto the flex spout and had a short section of clear tubing on it Coastal Farm or Wilco used to have them and they were in the $30 range.

Harbor Freight has a slightly upgraded version with a metal pump barrel pretty cheap.

5 Gallon Oil Pump

David

I had one of those, they are junk, lasted for on bucket.

Ron

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #10  
If you have the space, go with a 55 gallon drum and one of these and a tank pump. They are also handy pouring into from a 5 gal. I put a large plastic bag over it in between use's. The oil attracts dust.
imgres.jpg