Diesel Stabilizer

/ Diesel Stabilizer #1  

kclark2227

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701 4WD HST
I have read several threads which some were older. What information I can't find is what is everyone using for a fuel stabilizer. Are there brands that work better or brands that I should definitely stay away from. I have a new tractor coming and first time tractor, Kubota L4701. I will have fuel in the tank and I'm just going to use a 5 gallon can until I figure out how much I'm going to go thru in a year's time.

/ Diesel Stabilizer #4  
Power service in both tractors and my pickup - you can tell the difference

/ Diesel Stabilizer #5  
I too use PS products in my diesels, readily available, application and usage amount printed on container, priced right.

Snake oil has proven itself to me over the years in both diesels and gas engines on my farm...Sea Foam for the gassers. In 40 years of farming, I have never had a fuel issue that I didn't inherit from a PO on a newly purchased machine.

I don't remember the last time I changed a diesel fuel filter as I've had no need to. I keep my fuel in sealed 55 gallon drums and have a Gold Bond water absorbing final filter on my fuel transfer pump. I have used it to clean up sloppy running tractors and to keep good runners running good. I don't care to attempt to prove to myself that it's not beneficial for me!

/ Diesel Stabilizer #6  
Power Service. They have different formulations for different fuel needs. I use the White Bottle year round. If I remember the product information correctly one can mix the different formulations w/o harming the engine. 911 (Red Bottle) is not recommended for continuous use. It removes water.

A Mr. Funnel fuel/water separating funnel really works well at removing any water from the fuel during fueling.

/ Diesel Stabilizer #7  
Other than winter gelling issues, get clean fuel, keep it clean and you don't need any additives on diesel fuel. Additives are just insurance against getting dirty (water) fuel. I have never used anything and never had any injector problems or excessively dirty fuel filters either.

/ Diesel Stabilizer #8  
Another important note regarding diesel, avoid storing diesel long term in a galvanized vessel. The diesel will dissolve the galvanized coating ( usually zinc ), and end up in your fuel system sooner or later.

/ Diesel Stabilizer #9  
I don't use any additives but I rarely burn diesel older than a year.

/ Diesel Stabilizer #10  
I have always used the power saver in the white bottle in both of my tractors . I did notice last summer some mold in one of my 5 gal. jugs that I use for diesel and the additive only . My fuel is never over 6 months old before being used if that . The containers are over 15 yrs. old though . I washed them out with bleach and water and dry in the sun for a couple days and they are fine now . I just hope there isn't any mold in the tractor fuel tanks . I don't see any in the filters . Is there an additive for mold removal ??????