Brake Cleaner

/ Brake Cleaner #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
Anyone find a brake cleaner that is not hazardous to our health? I was using 3M high power but after watching it destroy my nitrile gloves in seconds, I would like to find something else. The fumes from the 3M were pretty obnoxious as well.

/ Brake Cleaner #2  
I buy the non-chlorinated, I think that is about as safe as you can get in a solvent.

/ Brake Cleaner #3  
Agree with msb1776 ^^ Also there's acetone, nasty-smelling but it's chlorine-free too.

Denatured alky can be sprayed from a re-purposed Windex bottle.

/ Brake Cleaner #4  
The chlorinated brake fluid is basically dry cleaning fluid. And, the non chlorinated is basically lacquer thinner. Neither is good for you.

I use the non chlorinated. To me, the chlorinated has the more noxious fumes.

If you use the 9 mil black nitrile gloves, they hold up fairly well for disposables.

You can get heavier gloves for automotive painting, that will last longer.

/ Brake Cleaner #5  
Also there's acetone, nasty-smelling but it's chlorine-free too.

Denatured alky can be sprayed from a re-purposed Windex bottle.

I agree that alky and acetone are good to have around, but for some reason neither cut grease and oil like chlorinated brake clean. I try to use the least volatile fluid to clean with going up from alky to acetone to brake clean depending on the job that I am working on. This has lowered the amount of brake clean that I use in the shop.

All that being said, I do keep some water based de-greasers in the shop like Castrol Super Clean and they work well in some applications but I don't use them allot. Mostly for soaking parts.

/ Brake Cleaner #7  
I don't have the name in front of me, but I will often use eco-friendly bicycle degreasers. Works pretty darn good on a lot of things. I have used a few varieties and have had luck with what I have used so far. Might be worth looking into.

/ Brake Cleaner #8  
Most brake fluid is water soluble. If I'm doing a brake job I use a water hose to spray off the brake parts. Removes brake dust and leaked fluid without creating a breathing hazard.

The chlorinated brake cleaner works good for cleaning switches and things that have plastic parts.

/ Brake Cleaner #9  
I use CRC brand in the red can. I think it's the chlorinated type. I also use the black Gorilla Grip nitrile gloves. No problems with either. I think I have tried the non chlorinated type and it did damage my gloves and some plastic.

I get both at Walmart.