Fuel Leak Detection

/ Fuel Leak Detection #1  

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, CaseIH Farmall 35A, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
I have some Diesel fuel leak(s) on my Ford 555A TLB. In order to better trace the source(s), I am considering using UV dye and a UV flashlight but have never tried anything like this. Has anyone anyone used this method before? Does it work well?

Also here is the dye and UV flashlight that I am considering. Any opinions, pros or cons of these particular products?

Amazon.com: Four Seasons 6988 Oz Bottle Fuel, Power Steering, Engine Oil, Tran Oil Fluorescent Dye - Set of 6: Automotive

Amazon.com: Zerhunt Black Light UV Flashlight 12 LED Ultraviolet Blacklight Pet Urine and Stains Detector Torch with AAA Batteries: Pet Supplies

Thanks

/ Fuel Leak Detection #2  
Yes it does work BUT it has to be pitch black dark..
Save the money.. clean the engine, pressure wash, blow dry.. sprinkle baby powder & start the engine..
OR just pressurize the fuel tank w/ about 3 psi of air..
Some leaks, like injectors, will only leak while the engine is running tho..

/ Fuel Leak Detection #3  
You can also use spray foot powder in a can it goes on white and turns tan when fuel or oil touch it

/ Fuel Leak Detection #4  
Yes he could use foot powder BUT the engine wouldn't stay as "kool & dry".. :laughing:

/ Fuel Leak Detection
Thanks for the responses guys. I will give that powder or spray powder a try after a good cleaning.

/ Fuel Leak Detection #6  
This might be a more reputable / powerful product; sold by Grainger and McMaster

In addition to colors, they make the dye in fluorescent - meaning it's easy to see even dirty fluid on black engine parts

Kingscote Bright Dyes® Solvent 250 Red Fluorescent Liquid
Product Number: 506250-RF
McMaster-Carr
https://www.kingscotechemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Solvent-Fluorescent-Red-250.pdf

the fluorescent is expensive ($60/4oz), but mcmaster also sells plain Blue and Red which is cheaper ($20/4oz)