injection pump help

/ injection pump help #1  

skindaddy

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501
anyone know of a site that could help me with a injection pump for an allis chalmers 5020, i see there is not an allis forum here.
or here is my problem
i am getting to much fuel into motor, i do not know if there is an adjustment on the fuel pump there is probably only one screw set that it could be if it. i took injectors apart one was pretty clean the other not so much, so i throughly cleaned them both , didnt see any excessive wear by the naked eye. put back together and still getting to much
i have found new nozzles but i seem to think it will not fix problem.

/ injection pump help #2  
have you been into the pump?? it might be time to disassemble it and check for worn part , orings and gaskets

/ injection pump help
no i have little intimidated have worked up courage! haha
would be more confident if i had a break down or something just in case to see where stuff goes.
also need to find a place to get parts, having a hard time just finding injector stuff.

/ injection pump help #4  
Theres really nothing you can do.. unless YOU turned the fuel screw..
An inj. pump doesn't just pump more fuel w/o something being moved.. pump LESS fuel, yes.. not more.
Taking the pump apart wont do you any good.. you need a test stand to read & set the fuel delivery..
I don't know how you cleaned the injectors but if you ran them across a wire wheel, you ruined them.
The nozzles are relatively inexpensive to replace compared to new injectors.
IF its black smoking..?? chances are the injector nozzles are not atomizing properly or opening to soon..
But you need a pop tester to determine THAT.. BUT if you replace the nozzles/tips it usually brings the pressure back to spec..
OR.. the air intake system is restricted..
Remove the filters & hoses & run the machine.. I've seen hoses get old & collapse when running.. so remove BOTH..

/ injection pump help
thanks pumpguy, will try
a few things, i remember a few years back we had a loose screw, its like a screw with locknut and like a set screw in the middle of that (2in1). well this is the only screw i can assume that would adjust anything, we really had no idea where to set it. fast forward we dont use it alot so went unnoticed until it really caught my attention yes smokes a little to much and is adding bit of fuel to the oil.
injectors no i did not use wire wheel, i can get nozzles to replace, but can you elaborate some on them opening to soon? is that a timing deal right? cause the nozzle is just the cup with hole in it?(as in no timing there i know its more than a hole :)
thank again

/ injection pump help
i will double check this to confirm as spring is here and time to get tractor out but
also this pump has an oil resevoir seems like i checked it and was low so i filled it and seems like last i checked it was low again or out again.

i know this all sounds ignorant but this tractor was my grandpas and we inherited it, so i know for a fact whatever is going on been going on for some time as he just used it little to no maintenance. and has been a learning curve as stuff pops up

/ injection pump help #7  
I have no idea on your CAV pump but yesterdays tractors has a kit for about $25. and they have a pretty good AC group.
Luck

/ injection pump help #8  
Lol.. as luck would have it.. THAT IS the fuel screw.. the double/triple screw on the gov. w/ the lock nut..
SO MAYBE in fact, you did accidently turn the fuel up..
ONLY turn the big bottom nut.!!! DO NOT separate the adjustments..
If I remember correctly, turning the screw DOWN, turns the fuel DOWN.??
When your "trying" to set the fuel.. go 1/2-1 full turn in either direction & try it..
THAT WAY you'll KNOW how many turns to turn it back if you went the wrong direction..
You COULD ACTUALLY run the engine, mash the gas till it smokes.. turn the screw while its running & watch the smoke..

Keep an eye on that oil level.. & fill when needed..
But then again, some are engine oil fed.. while others have a res.. its hard to say which you have..
I would assume that since you have "full" & "drain" screws.. its manual fill..??

/ injection pump help
awesome ,thank you again for your help,
its been so long im not sure if the adjustments were separated or not, prob screwed if they were!wouldnt shock me either with this luck
yeah on the oil its manual, worried about that too, thinking it leaks out somehow.
will have to get some nozzles on order and then give all this a try.
thank you

/ injection pump help #10  
The separate adjustments are for "torque"..
not a big deal.. & they are slight..
The adj. just allow for more fuel when in a "bog-down" situation..
Get some new nozzles & BE SURE to torque the noz. nuts to 50FTLBS.. that'll get you back close to the correct opening pressure.
THEN you can start to play w/ the fuel setting..
NO SENSE in trying to adjust fuel output w/ bad inj. tips.. if ya know what I mean..