Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota

Default Re: Fuel storage

Quote Originally Posted by oosik View Post
    Well - peach pucker. I've thought long & hard about fuel storage. You think its tough at 58 - wait until you are 76. I can still lift those 5 gallon jerry cans but she isn't the greatest amount of fun.

My diesel is stored in five gallon jerry cans with Power Service. I'd like to have a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump but there are concerns about algae formation and condensation. So far in the thirty seven years out here I've had ZERO problems with my diesel fuel. I think I'll continue with the jerry cans - and just complain a little.
    Have you considered an overhead crane rail or a jib crane, or maybe just a pulley on a nail in the rafters? Anything you can do to pick up the can rather than using your back to pick up the whole load will help your back. Even if you still have to juggle it around a little, one day the weight is going to catch you wrong and make a bad day.
    I am fortunate in being able to drive a couple of blocks for diesel. About a year ago, the store owner told me he was going to quit selling diesel and actually did...but finally caved in to all the people who were asking about it. I made sure he knew I was happy because it made me go to hauling cans of fuel when he quit selling diesel.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

I have a 50 gallon tank off a semi trailer. I welded a bigger plug in the bottom of it and screwed in a filter and a 1Ē hose. Somewhat to my surprise it gravity feeds at a good flow rate. Having a diesel mower, tractor and CTL the barrel doesnít last long so Iíve never bothered treating it with anything. Before I used as much as I do now Iíve held diesel for a year or so with no problems.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

sandman - you are exactly correct. Its not the 40 foot trip - carrying the full jerry can that hurts - its holding it up while the fuel drains into the tractor that hurts. I have the ideal situation for a pulley system from the rafters. And I suppose I'll screw around until the day I do hurt my back and then put something together to hold the jerry can up.

The smart thing to do - next time my son comes out - I'll have him hook a couple of my pulleys so I can have a lifting system in the carport stall where I park the tractor.

I've noticed - the five gallon jerry cans of diesel aren't getting any lighter...........
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

"isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Default Fuel storage

Iíve got 2 of the VP race cans. With the nice flexible spout I can lay the can on the hood until most of the fuel drains out. Itís much easier than my other cans. And another plus since theyíre not technically a fuel can theyíre exempt from epa regulations.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4025 / Kubota RTV500 / Bad Boy ZT Elite 60"

Thanks for the good ideas, I can now move on with a plan.

Tractor
    2013 Kubota MX5100 HST, 1989 Kubota F2100

I use 2 55 gal metal drums and a hand pump. Fill the 2 drums about 3X year. Have a filter on the line and no troubles. Stored in the shed with the tractors.

Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds operating weight

I've thought long & hard about fuel storage. My diesel is stored in five gallon jerry cans with Power Service. You think its tough at 58 - wait until you are 76. I can still lift those 5 gallon jerry cans but it isn't the greatest fun.

I'd like to have a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump but there are concerns about algae formation and condensation. In the thirty seven years out here I've had ZERO problems with my diesel fuel. I think I'll continue with the jerry cans - and just complain a little.

At age 70-3/4, I am with you, OOSIK.

If marginal fuel is introduced into a tractor's tank and sits there awhile, problems can develop.

I buy diesel two plastic five gallon containers at a time.

When the /60 series Kubotas came out in 2013, the fueling point was moved from the tractor hood, requiring one to stand in the operating station to access, to low on the side, about even with the floor. I feel much more secure fueling with both feet on the ground.

Falls over age sixty can be very bad events.

My tractor usage is 200 - 300 engine hours per year, depending on hurricane debris.

I buy 87 octane, 10% ethanol gas for my two chainsaws one gallon at a time.
    Last edited by jeff9366; 04-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2N MF50 Ford 1510

Being over 70, I no longer will hold a 5 Gal fuel can at shoulder level to fuel anything.
    Many years ago I found this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...7761/304261418 ) self priming siphon and have never looked back.
    The other thing you might consider is just getting an old 250 gal. fuel oil tank & have your fuel oil (same as off road diesel) delivered.
    Fuel oil sits in those tanks all year long in millions of homes with no problem.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2555 HST Cab

I had 100 gallons of diesel fuel under my whole house generator for 14 years. I initially added power services, and the only fuel generator used was during weekly exercises. When I moved this year, I sold the generator and there were about 60 gallons of diesel still in the tank. The generator ran fine on that fuel and I never had an issue with algae. Many told me diesel will not last that long. But I've had zero problems after 14 years. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe people are just being ultra-conservative. At my new place, I store 3 55-gallon drums inside my barn, with a$200 12 volt pump from Northern Tool. Works great, and pumps at 8 gallons per minute. So far, knock on wood, everything is work better than expected.

Tractor
    Ford '63 2000 and '65 3000; Branson '16 2400 and '07 6530C both with FELs. All tractors are Diesels

Well - peach pucker. I've thought long & hard about fuel storage. You think its tough at 58 - wait until you are 76. I can still lift those 5 gallon jerry cans but she isn't the greatest amount of fun.

My diesel is stored in five gallon jerry cans with Power Service. I'd like to have a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump but there are concerns about algae formation and condensation. So far in the thirty seven years out here I've had ZERO problems with my diesel fuel. I think I'll continue with the jerry cans - and just complain a little.
    Well I'm 76 and go the easy route. Grin. Use the hand fill stuff on gassing my small equipment and that's enough of a pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12