Fuel storage

/ Fuel storage #1  

burzynsr

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025 / Kubota RTV500 / Bad Boy ZT Elite 60"
Just wondering how long can I store diesel in a clean 55 gallon drum out of the weather? I just need an easier way to fuel the tractor and I am tired of shuffling plastic 5 gallon cans. I have to get it up over the hood and the old 58 year old back does not like it. I would ad the right amount of "Power Services" fluid to it and use a hand pump of some description. I would like to get a year out of it if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Fuel storage #2  
If its not Biodiesel it will last years

/ Fuel storage #3  
If it is Biodiesel, add Bio-chide to it to kill the algae growth.

/ Fuel storage #4  
Algea will grow in regular diesel too I would treat for that.

/ Fuel storage #5  
Keep it inside a shed out of the sun where water cannot pool on top of barrel and it will last for years if no water is introduced.
Heating and cooling the drum causes it to breath and take in moisture that's why it should be stored inside a building.
90cummins

/ Fuel storage #6  
Diesel is easy to store. If it is going to sit a while use a biocide. I use biobor JF. I have a 1000 gallon tank that is outside. Usually it gets cycled through every two months but sometimes ittakes longer than that.

/ Fuel storage #7  
Have you considered mounting the drum like people (at least in the South) used to do fuel oil? An angle iron frame with a cradle is easy enough to build, and then put the drum on top of it (at a slight angle). Have your fuel delivered when the drum gets really low, or when you use the last of it. If delivery isn't an option, and you have to go after it, then you can build the angle iron frame under a crane rail or jib crane or add one to your pickup truck. The other option is to have two drums and use one to transport and then pump the fuel into the other. Make sure the pumps you use are fuel rated so that you don't have a fire issue. The reason for the elevated drum as opposed to pumping it into your tractor, is when you have time to go after a drum full of fuel (maybe not quite full) you can hook up the pump and just leave it to pump. If you pump into your tractor, you have to be there to make sure you don't over fill the tank, standing on the step patiently watching the fuel level. Now I don't mean "leave it unattended", just meaning it won't take as close a watch. Plus pumping that much fuel with a small pump (such as the electric fuel pump on my F350) will take some time, something that would be better served in a time frame planned, not required during a busy day of tractor work.
David from jax

/ Fuel storage #8  
I have an old trailer made from a Chev truck bed. Have 3 55gal. barrels in it that stay sealed unless the pump is inserted and that's sorta sealed....lid pops when I start pumping and creating a vacuum in the thing.

12v electric pump...battery in trailer....charge every so often. I use Power Services products and have never had a problem with my fuel. Every time I fill up, I look down in the bottom and all I see is clear, red fuel.

Trailer sits under a car port type thing I made for my hay truck when I was a sorta BTO. Time for diesel, just hook up to it and take it to town. Piece of cake.

/ Fuel storage #9  
A vented tank/drum is more susceptible to algae than sealed tanks etc...
Also on vented metal tanks moisture will condense when the fuel level is low...

/ Fuel storage #10  
Well - peach pucker. I've thought long & hard about fuel storage. You think its tough at 58 - wait until you are 76. I can still lift those 5 gallon jerry cans but she isn't the greatest amount of fun.

My diesel is stored in five gallon jerry cans with Power Service. I'd like to have a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump but there are concerns about algae formation and condensation. So far in the thirty seven years out here I've had ZERO problems with my diesel fuel. I think I'll continue with the jerry cans - and just complain a little.