Fuel resistant caulking

/ Fuel resistant caulking #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I got a new gas tank for my mower and had to drill a hole in the top for the dip tube. Working too fast and not paying enough attention I grabbed a 5/8" drill bit instead of the 1/2". Now the Viton plug is loose in the opening. At $80 I don't want to buy a new gas tank. Is there any caulk or sealant that I can use to seal the Viton plug in the plastic gas tank? The seal will not be sitting in gas but will be splashed.

/ Fuel resistant caulking #3  
The problem will be adhering to the tank plastic -- no adhesive I know of will stick to that material well. Doesn't matter if the adhesive is gas resistant or not, if it doesn't stay attached to the plastic!

I wonder if you can instead use a rubber grommet or bushing to make a snug fit.

/ Fuel resistant caulking
I stopped by Auto Zone to see if they had some kind of plug of something else. They pointed me to plastic gas tank repair kit. I had been looking for something like that for several years to fix the tank I am trying to replace. It is a epoxy putty. I patched up the old tank and stuck down the fuel pick up on the new tank. Now I just wait and see what works.

/ Fuel resistant caulking #5  
The problem will be adhering to the tank plastic -- no adhesive I know of will stick to that material well. Doesn't matter if the adhesive is gas resistant or not, if it doesn't stay attached to the plastic!

I wonder if you can instead use a rubber grommet or bushing to make a snug fit.

Yeah, the tank is probably made of HDPE, polyethylene. The only effective way to seal it is with a bigger
grommet, or by plastic welding. Both of those methods work quite well.

I would go with your way, as you can just order the grommet by size.