Change in diesel fuel?

/ Change in diesel fuel? #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
Our busiest time is spring food plot prep;this year we have noticed on both of our tractors(32&44 H.P.) an increase in fuel use.I first put it off to left over "winter" fuel but the uptick in consumption has continued.Has there been a change in diesel formulations?
Granted we are small time users but the large farm operations in the area must be having fits about increased fuel use.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #2  
I've noticed the opposite with gasoline here in Washington State. I get about 2 mpg better mileage in the summer than in winter. I chalk it up to fewer oxygenates in the mix during summer. I'm not in the seat on the tractor enough to notice any difference in diesel blends though.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #3  
Well ......... I've heard no "screams from the bushes" regarding changes in diesel formulations. As far as I can see - you are the first on TBN with this situation/question.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #4  
I noticed a small drop when they went to biodiesel here. It also added the problem of algae and I have to treat the fuel now with bio-cide.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #5  
My 4105 has a working rev 'sweet spot' = just a 'titch' over 2000. Unless I'm running a PTO implement (tiller or slasher) at the operational revs, that's the engine speed I bring it up to. Even in 4WD.

Mine is hydrostatic.

My point is, does you tractor have one of those 'sweet spots' and is the operator straying outside of it?

Last edited:
   / Change in diesel fuel? #6  
I've noticed the opposite with gasoline here in Washington State. I get about 2 mpg better mileage in the summer than in winter. I chalk it up to fewer oxygenates in the mix during summer. I'm not in the seat on the tractor enough to notice any difference in diesel blends though.
Fuel economy will drop in colder weather. I had one truck which would even trip the check engine light in extreme, subzero weather. There was nothing wrong with it except for the combination of cold air and cold fuel not burning efficiently.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #7  
My 4105 has a working rev 'sweet spot' = just a 'titch' over 2000. Unless I'm running a PTO implement (tiller or slasher) at the operational revs, that's the engine speed I bring it up to. Even in 4WD.

Mine is hydrostatic.

My point is, does you tractor have one of those 'sweet spots' and is the operator straying outside of it?

That's a good question. Are the same operators using the same tractors from last year?

I see folks operate equipment very inefficiently all the time. Wrong RPM for the task at hand. High rpm idling, etc.... I see inexperienced operators throw the throttle full open and leave it there all day regardless of what task they are using the equipment for. Heck, they're not the ones paying for the fuel.

Every tractor engine torque curve that I've seen has a "sweet" spot.

Some newer high end equipment matches engine rpm to work load independently of the operator. Strives for max fuel economy without sacrificing power needs.

DEWFPO

/ Change in diesel fuel?

Mine is hydrostatic.

I am the sole operator and doing similar spring chores.The other tractor is my son's and he also noticed that he was using more fuel.Mine is hydrostatic and his is straight gear.

/ Change in diesel fuel? #9  
Well, if your both buying your fuel from the same supplier then i'd say it's likely the fuel. More #1 mixed in with #2 will be less fuel efficient.

DEWFPO

/ Change in diesel fuel? #10  
The only change I noticed in diesel fuel is the price..............UP! :mad: