Rain in diesel transfer tank

/ Rain in diesel transfer tank #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
Left the cap off on my diesel transfer tank. Rained about a 1/4" with it off so some water got in there. Probably 10-15 gallons of diesel in there right now. It's a cylinder shaped tank. Will the water go to the bottom? It's a bottom feed tank. So if so I was thinking of just letting a gallon out of it.

/ Rain in diesel transfer tank #2  
Yes water is heavier then diesel, I would drain several gallons out.
You can save it till winter when it gets cold the water will freeze and be easy to separate.

/ Rain in diesel transfer tank #3  
Not enough to worry about , condensation will put more water in a tank than 1/4 inch in a 2 or 3" bung hole

/ Rain in diesel transfer tank #4  
Left the cap off on my diesel transfer tank. Rained about a 1/4" with it off so some water got in there. Probably 10-15 gallons of diesel in there right now. It's a cylinder shaped tank. Will the water go to the bottom? It's a bottom feed tank. So if so I was thinking of just letting a gallon out of it.

I always keep a tube of "Water finding Paste" on hand to check all my tanks. Rub it on a stick, stick stick in tank, remove stick and check for color change. You will now know if and/or how much water is there. Then drain and be happy!

/ Rain in diesel transfer tank #5  
No idea where I bought it but had water in tank and found a cloth type tube (sort of like a big wick) that absorbs water out of fuel. Most likely M5farms is correct, get additive to help with the water.