Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes?

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #1  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
Having a tough time getting aftermarket filter for a new to me Kawasaki FS541V commercial engine. I have a Kawasaki FB460V engine on a mower for 20+ years now and I can get that filter anywhere and at a reasonable price ( $10 for a tiny filter spin-on is nuts). Anyway after wondering if the FB oil filter would work on my FS engine, I looked up equivalents on NAPA ProLink only to find that both oil filters sold by NAPA have the same Filtration and same Gallon per Minute Flow. The Bypass pressure was about the same as well. They are shaped different enough BUT can I assume that if the Gasketing area mates with both filters that I should be able to use one for the other? Do engine manufacturers play with shapes and part numbers just to have us paying premiums and jumping through hoops?

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #2  
Fram has a really good parts search on their website. Just enter the engine model number and let it search. From the Fram number you could probably cross reference to any manufacturer you wanted. According to the search the two engines use different filters (see pics below, screenshots from the search page). I was curious because you listed the FB460V. I have an FH451V on a mower which uses a Fram PH4967, the same as your FB460V and also the same as the 1996 Toyota Corolla I used to own. I discovered they used the same filter when I got rid of the car and had a few extra filters leftover so I've been using them on the mower ever since.

Here's a link to the parts search page:
Parts Search | FRAM

filter-1.jpgfilter-2.jpg

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #3  
The filter on my sons Kawasaki Mule was so short it was almost imposdible to get any wrench on it so I went with a Purolater L14477 which is way longer making a filter change way easier. This filter also fits the Kawasakis on the Exmarks my BIL uses. I use the Advanceauto website and get the 25% discount on them. Like you I think the factory filters are way over priced

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #4  
Fram filters are about the worst filters made. About half the filter material and the pressure releif spring isn't even a spring just a chunk of metal like those clicker toys sold to kids back in the old dAYs.

If you have the Fram filter number you can cross referance it to a much better NAPA filter or Wix (sold at O Rielys auto Parts)

Engine Oil Filter Study

:D Al

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #5  
Fram filters are about the worst filters made. About half the filter material and the pressure releif spring isn't even a spring just a chunk of metal like those clicker toys sold to kids back in the old dAYs.
Engine Oil Filter Study

It should be noted that this "study" is 20 years old. Lots can change in that time.
I have never had a problem with a Fram filter. Yeah, if you buy their cheapest one, you're likely to get what you pay for, but they make several grades.

In 2009, they changed the oil filters. Same filter, but the new one is now metric threads. :confused3:

Well that sounds like fun. Most vehicles I've had put the filter somewhere barely accessible so you're putting in the new one mostly by feel...bad enough without having to deal with different threads.

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #6  
If the thread specs, flow rate, ADBV, bypass psi, and micron ratings are the same or very similar you can use almost any filter that meets those manufacturers specs. Larger filters will take more oil so beware of that. You also may not want to use one that is way far longer than the original one since engine vibration/shake can cause it to want to loosen.

DEWFPO

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #7  
You also may not want to use one that is way far longer than the original one since engine vibration/shake can cause it to want to loosen.
DEWFPO

How is that? Why wouldn’t it loosen in the application it was designed for? I have several applications that use filters a foot long on machines that rattle like crazy and I have never had one come loose.

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #8  
If ther filter is installed properly one longer than normal isn't going to come loose any easier than the short one.

Yes that study was done 20 years ago but still is a good one to go by today.

If you want to do is buy a couple your self and cut them open and split the filter materal and measure how much difference there is.

Cheap out on the filter and pay out later when you need to overhaul the engine sooner.

( WARNING ) For You Fram Oil Filter Lover's.YouTube - YouTube

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #9  
Us engineers keep redesigning and changing things so we can stay employed. The bean counters change part numbers to a more efficient system, and it keeps the girls in the office busy. The technical writers are kept busy writing new books. The printers have to make new boxes and books with the new part numbers. The construction industry has to build new warehouses for all the new parts. Win, win. :D

I have a 2008 and 2011 Jeep Liberty with the same engine, same body. In 2009, they changed the oil filters. Same filter, but the new one is now metric threads. :confused3:

There's way too much truth in what K7LN is saying. On the good side, it keeps the economy going and at the same times leaves the door wide open for anyone who want to be innovative. They just have to do it outside of the day-to-day system.
rScotty

/ Small Engine Oil filters. Same Spec just different sizes? #10  
If ther filter is installed properly one longer than normal isn't going to come loose any easier than the short one.

Yes that study was done 20 years ago but still is a good one to go by today.

If you want to do is buy a couple your self and cut them open and split the filter materal and measure how much difference there is.

Cheap out on the filter and pay out later when you need to overhaul the engine sooner.

( WARNING ) For You Fram Oil Filter Lover's.YouTube - YouTube

Wondering how many here have had to overhaul any engine due to poor oil filtering?

Or any other reason?

How many engine failures with good filters & dino oil as opposed to bad filters & synthetic oil?

Most of my stuff I use cheap filters & oil & have never had an oil related failure.
A few vehicles with 300k+ miles.