off road fuel question?

/ off road fuel question? #11  
surely the red dye is for enforcement reasons. so if people run it in their road vehicles they can be "caught". and to prevent accidentally putting it in the wrong tank.

/ off road fuel question? #12  
The red dye is strictly there to indicate that no Federal tax has been paid on the fuel. Enforcement comes from the fact that it is illegal to run non-taxed fuel in a vehicle that is being used for non-exempt activities.

/ off road fuel question? #13  
The red dye is strictly there to indicate that no Federal tax has been paid on the fuel. Enforcement comes from the fact that it is illegal to run non-taxed fuel in a vehicle that is being used for non-exempt activities.

/ off road fuel question? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The red dye is strictly there to indicate that no Federal tax has been paid on the fuel. Enforcement comes from the fact that it is illegal to run non-taxed fuel in a vehicle that is being used for non-exempt activities.
)</font>

That is what I heard too.
I was told #2 diesel and heating oil are exactly the same and it is fine to use them interchangeably.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

/ off road fuel question? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The red dye is strictly there to indicate that no Federal tax has been paid on the fuel. Enforcement comes from the fact that it is illegal to run non-taxed fuel in a vehicle that is being used for non-exempt activities.
)</font>

That is what I heard too.
I was told #2 diesel and heating oil are exactly the same and it is fine to use them interchangeably.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

/ off road fuel question? #16  
<font color="blue"> That is what I heard too.
I was told #2 diesel and heating oil are exactly the same and it is fine to use them interchangeably. </font>

That's exactly what the oil deliveryman told me when he was delivering off-road diesel this month. Also told me the oil companies make most of the profit on the home heating oil instead of the off-road diesel.

If I had an oil furnace I would be purchasing off road for the tractor and using it to fill the inside tank for the furnace. It's not breaking any law and it can only save you $$$$.

/ off road fuel question? #17  
<font color="blue"> That is what I heard too.
I was told #2 diesel and heating oil are exactly the same and it is fine to use them interchangeably. </font>

That's exactly what the oil deliveryman told me when he was delivering off-road diesel this month. Also told me the oil companies make most of the profit on the home heating oil instead of the off-road diesel.

If I had an oil furnace I would be purchasing off road for the tractor and using it to fill the inside tank for the furnace. It's not breaking any law and it can only save you $$$$.

/ off road fuel question? #18  
I've got a 1998 770 which I've had for several years and run only off road dyed diesel fuel because of the cost difference. The percentage of dye is so little it has no effect on the engine, except for the cost savings.

A great compact utility tractor by the way. Mine has been absolutely trouble free. I've done all the servising mysefl; oil, filter, air filter, gas filter changes, adjusted the clutch, and changed the hydraulic fluid and periodic greasing. Everything is right at hand and straight forward. It starts on the first crank and works hard on a little over a half gallon - three quarters of a gallon of fuel per hour at rated engine speed. You should really enjoy this tractor.

Good luck with your 770.

/ off road fuel question? #19  
I've got a 1998 770 which I've had for several years and run only off road dyed diesel fuel because of the cost difference. The percentage of dye is so little it has no effect on the engine, except for the cost savings.

A great compact utility tractor by the way. Mine has been absolutely trouble free. I've done all the servising mysefl; oil, filter, air filter, gas filter changes, adjusted the clutch, and changed the hydraulic fluid and periodic greasing. Everything is right at hand and straight forward. It starts on the first crank and works hard on a little over a half gallon - three quarters of a gallon of fuel per hour at rated engine speed. You should really enjoy this tractor.

Good luck with your 770.

/ off road fuel question? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That is what I heard too.
I was told #2 diesel and heating oil are exactly the same and it is fine to use them interchangeably. )</font>

I am not disputing your claim as that may be the case where you live but it is NOT the case in my area of the country.

As I have said numerous times here before, the fuels may or may not be the same. It all depends on where you live and where your retailer is sourcing the fuel from.