Ways to determine grease compatability

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #11  
Another factor, besides compatibility seems to be cleanliness.

Why Grease Cleanliness Should Not Be Overlooked

Besides the contaminants in the grease itself, it makes one think we should be paying a lot of attention to how clean the Zerks are when we are greasing our equipment.

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #12  
Has anyone had a bearing fail conclusively to mixing grease? The couple I have had seized up where do to water in the bearing AKA not enough grease. There is another thread on TBN "don't mix grease" with good information including real world comments, "better to mix grease, than not have enough." Understandably the manufacturing world stresses bearings to the limit but I am not sure a 7-ton trailer and load even comes close to requiring this level of attention. If you file a flight plan with way-points and departure and arrival times when you drive to the market than carry-on otherwise I think we are being a tad pedant.

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #13  
Has anyone had a bearing fail conclusively to mixing grease? The couple I have had seized up where do to water in the bearing AKA not enough grease. There is another thread on TBN "don't mix grease" with good information including real world comments, "better to mix grease, than not have enough." Understandably the manufacturing world stresses bearings to the limit but I am not sure a 7-ton trailer and load even comes close to requiring this level of attention. If you file a flight plan with way-points and departure and arrival times when you drive to the market than carry-on otherwise I think we are being a tad pedant.

I have repacked and replaced many haywagon and trailer bearings over the years and have seen many instances where one grease hardens up and nearly fills the voids around the bearings. There was additional grease added in many of these and it had nowhere to go since the other grease was hard. Some bearings and races were bad in nearly every case and the cause was lack of lubrication even though there was hardened lube and other grease in there.

The problem may or may not have been from grease compatibility but the age and hardening of the one grease didn't allow for the other grease to get in there to lube. If they were compatible they would have blended together? Just my observation here.

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #14  
There is another thread on TBN "don't mix grease"

How does one search for a thread with a specific string of words in the title? When I enter "don't mix grease" in the search and select the <search titles only> option, I get 1,567 hits.

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #15  
sixdogs - would like to hear how you got that moniker.

I agree in a perfect world cleaning and repacking works and should be done if needed, I do disagree with recommendations that you must repack or you will spin a bearing. I am just curious if this is a real or TMI problem.

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #16  
   / Ways to determine grease compatability #17  
How does one search for a thread with a specific string of words in the title? When I enter "don't mix grease" in the search and select the <search titles only> option, I get 1,567 hits.

You are correct, I just tried it and it seems title searches are lacking. We could complain to the website owner but my creed is beggars should not be whinners. :)

/ Ways to determine grease compatability #18  
I've found Googleing "tractorbynet.com stuff I'm searching for" works a lot better for searching TBN than TBNs search function.