Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #1  

dheck1961

Tractor
John Deere 5303
Diesel fuel in plastic \"gas\" cans

Someone told me that I should use "special" diesel plastic fuel cans instead of the red plastic gas cans for diesel fuel because they are constructed of different plastics and the gas can plastic could "bleed" into the diesel fuel....anyone know what the deal is with this ? Truth or fiction ?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #2  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic \"gas\" cans

I have one yellow can and a older "gas" marked 5 gallon that i use for diesel. someone is pulling your chain.
the difference is the color. never had a problem cause i have the older red can all marked up with diesel and it has a extension tube permently attached.
if your going to do the red can thing just make sure you mark them .

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #3  

dheck1961
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know about different plastic. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In Michigan there is sign posted at the diesel pump that states that a <font color="red"> Red </font> can is not legal to use for diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

There's nothing posted at the pumps in Connecticut or Massachusetts (I live in CT, but only a couple miles from MA). The person who told me about this is my Uncle who is a LONG time trucker so I would think he would know what he's talking about. I've been using the red gas cans for almost a year, but he's certainly made me nervous - I got the cans when I bought my new JD5303 and marked them "Diesel Only" so they wouldn't have gas put into them. I haven't had any problems, but obviously am concerned now....

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #5  

I never heard of them being made from a different kind of plastic and never heard of anyone having a problem with the red cans, although I certainly think it's a good idea to have the yellow ones. But like a lot of folks, I never used anything but the red ones which I had marked "diesel" in big letters with a marks-a-lot because the local stores didn't have yellow ones when I needed cans.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( gas can plastic could "bleed" into the diesel fuel....anyone know what the deal is with this ? Truth or fiction ? )</font>

I'd guess fiction. I think gas is a more powerful solvent than diesel, and I would be surprised if the tanks were made from different plastic.

If you are concerned, just use the red cans for transport and don't store diesel in them.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #7  

Urban legend and/or old timers myth (where are the Mythbusters when you need 'em?). The only difference in the plastics is the coloring used.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #8  

How many truckers you know fill them out of jugs? The plastic is the same, the issue is labelling, colors, and folks who think no one can identify a fluid except by what color container it came out of.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #9  

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! i have been using plastic cans for diesel for a long time never any problem.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #10  

In SOME states it is UNlawful to put anything other than gas into a red gas can. In reality, I doubt anyone would ever enforce a law like that.

All gas cans are supposed to be RED.
All kerosene cans are supposed to be BLUE.
etc etc etc

I couldn't find a DIESEL can, so I use a blue Kerosene can for storing my diesel. I use red gas cans for gas because I don't want to confuse the diesel and the gas.

As far as the different plastics go, I've never heard of that. My company's primary customer base is gas stations, we've been selling gas cans to them for at least 20 years, I've never seen any mention of anything being different in any of the manufacturer's literature.