Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it??

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
I began using Power Service at Day 1 with my JD 24hp, which was 6 years ago. A year and a half ago I bought a Duramax diesel and used PS from the start. About 6 months ago I ran out of PS at fill time for my truck. I decided to try a few tanks without. I can't tell even one tiny bit of difference in the way the engine runs or in mileage.

Stopped using the PS in my tractor at the same time. That was right at the time to change the tractor fuel filter. I changed it cuz it was time, but the filter was clean and the fuel bowl was, too. I felt like I threw away a good filter. But, I have no clue whether to give the credit to PS or not.

Anyhow, gel prevention in the winter is worth it. I'm skeptical of the cetane claims...not enough improvement to make any difference in my truck. Another post on Diesel Fuel Additives says GM recommends Stanadyne, but I don't recall reading that anywhere in the Owner's Manual. Maybe I missed it.

So, what do you think? Are Power Service or Stanadyne worth it?

OkieG

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #2  
OkieG, I don't know either whether it's worth it or not. When I was buying my diesel by the 55 gallon barrel from a wholesale and retail distributor, I always used the Power Service. The distributor told me they put an additive in the fuel and if you're going to use it within a month, it doesn't need anything else, but if you're going to keep it on hand longer than that, the Power Service was a good idea. So you can take that information for what it's worth; maybe nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #3  
I also have a Duramax that I have owned for the last couple of years as well as a couple of other diesels.Since my truck was new I have used Stanadyne and can say that I noticed no difference until I ran out and run a tank with no additive.The only real change that I saw was a increase in the noise from the injectors,but it was noticable.I am told it is the cetane increase but it might also be from the increase of lubricity from the stanadyne.In my tractor and excavator I"don't think"it makes a difference in how it sounds, other than that I don't know.In the Duramax the fuel pressure is in the 23,000 lb range at the injectors so any additional lubricity is welcome.Myself I think it is cheap insurance on the Duramax for the above reasons as well as anti gel and demulsifing the fuel which GM recommends.On the other equipment that I have I don't really know but the cost is so low due to the amount of fuel burned so I will continue to use.
As far as GM recommending Stanadyne yes they do stanadyne .Or should I say they say you can use it if you like.Also Gm says additional filtration is a good thing.The thing I would make sure is that you use a demulsifier as opposed to a emulsifier as water to the injectors is not a good thing.I am not sure what power service is but you might want to check. The new kid on the block is Delphi for additives additive for diesel, a lot cheaper but unproven as far as I can tell and a little vague on if it is a emulsifier or not.

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #4  
Based on my *very* limited experience - I found Power Service improved junk fuel into normal fuel. I've concluded that (aside from anti-gel) its only useful when needed to bring bad fuel up to standard.

My tractor contained old rancid diesel when I bought it; hard to start and then lots of smoke. Bad fuel knock, especially when warming up - more like clank-clank-clank. Doping that fuel with Power Service improved starting and warmup sound to normal.

I discarded that tank of bad fuel and got diesel from a discount convenience store. I think now this was low Cetane and no additives - it started a little reluctantly and still clattered nearly as badly warming up. I put Power Service in that tank and again got the improvement I expected, easy starting and minimal fuel knock.

The third tank was from a premium retailer where the Mercedes owners refuel. This doesn't need any additive, it fires on the first compression stroke, very little cold fuel knock, and little exhaust smell. The tractor purrs instead of clanks. This fuel must already have additives in it.

I expect to run without additives then add PS if needed for a tank of sub-standard fuel.

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #5  
When I had my Powerstoke Diesel (97) Ford stated do not use it. So for 3 years I did not and had no problems etc. I tried it one winter for the heck of it and I saw no difference. Some people love and others do not use it. It is kind of like oil additives.

My co-worker used to work for Stanadyne since $30 of CT people did. He said it was good for some pads in the old injector pumps, etc.

In todays market if you buy fuel from a good fuel station you should not need it. If you are in -40 below maybe but not in most states. I do not use it since I have not seen anything to prove it is needed. If you just got some new $700 injectors on a diesel, maybe on first run.

My Bx22 will not even use it.

/ Power Service, Stanadyne...are they worth it?? #6  
To each their own I guess.
Where I live there is only one place to buy diesel in the whole county. For my tractor, I always run Power Service in the winter for anti-gel. Last year my neighbor had problems most of the winter gelling with his Powerstroke. I can't say as I see a difference using it in my tractor or not.

But....I just bought a new VW TDI Jetta (diesel) which has unit injector system. My first tank of fuel without additive was OK. I then added some Power Service, and still got some "hesitation" at certain RPM's. After doing tons of research, I decided to try Standyne Performance Formula. Wow, what a difference! The little TDI engine just purrs now. The Standyne comes highly recommended in the TDI forums.

So, end result for me.....nothing but Stanadyne in the Jetta. I'm using up the rest of my Power Service for the tractor until I run out - then I'll just use the Stanadyne for everything.