Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #21  
The important difference when running a tractor on it in PA. for on road diesel, off road deisel and #2 home heating oil is as follows.

+.47/gal road tax, +.07/gal tax, and no extra fuel tax.

Yes the sulfur is higher, your tractor wont care.

I heat with a outdoor wood burner, with backup fuel oil. The tank sits about 8 feet from the woodburner and I put a crank pump 45.00 from tractor supply on it and never looked back. The minimum load I could buy was 150 gallons of fuel oil, I ran the woodburner on fuel oil four times I think. Twice to light it and once to see if it worked and once when we went away for a weekend. The rest of the fuel I have used has been in the tractor. I do add diesel fuel conditioner to the tank.

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #22  
<font color="blue"> Yes the sulfur is higher, your tractor wont care.
</font>

This question is directed at no one and everyone! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have heard some say that #2 deisel and home heating oil are the same.

I have heard others say there is a difference, and that off road and home heating oil have higher sulfer, while the road diesel fuel does not.

Anyone have a specific reference or study they can point us to, that tells the real story?

I at some point in time bought into the belief that on- and off-road fuel is the same stuff, with the exception of dye...and that home heating oil is the same stuff too...

But in fact, I don't know and don't know how to determine what the real truth is... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #23  
Off road diesel is dyed red..... home heating oil is dyed red. If there were two different products, then one would have a different dye in it to indicate the difference in my opinion. That is also my logical opinion on the subject. I back this information up with conversations with the people that sell the products. Every one that I have talked to says they are the same. Most people here say they are the same. I have used HHO in my tractor for the past 115 hours with no problems. My friend operates his 4 excavators, 2 bulldozers, skid steer, and giant JD backhoe all on HHO every work day. If there was a difference between off road diesel and HHO, I believe that there would be a lot of warnings not to do it and the products would be dyed differently for identification purposes. I do remember that Agway used to use green dye in their off road diesel fuel, and the HHO was clear. That was about 20 years ago. At that time, it might have just been a marketing gimmick.

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #24  
It depends on the supplier. My supplier sources their off road and home heating oil from different distributors. I was told that the blend is different (sulphur maybe?). I will ask again tomorrow when I go to get some more off road.

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #25  
My oil man has told me that HHO has a higher sulphur content.

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #26  
Would HHO and Low Sulpher Oil (LSO) both be died red? The LSO is a more expensive product around here than HHO. If they are both the same color, then how would you know if the dealer is cheating and selling the lower cost HHO for the higher priced LSO?

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #27  
According to the WordIQ.com website:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The fuel used in diesel engines is chemically identical to home heating oil. However diesel fuel typically contains a road tax while home heating oil does not, and hence it is generally illegal to use the cheaper heating oil as diesel fuel.)</font>

The NYMEX Exchange website agrees:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Diesel fuel and No. 2 heating oil are nearly identical products, and the NYMEX Division heating oil futures contract is typically used to hedge diesel.... )</font>

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #28  
I just returned from my fuel supplier and here is the scoop based on what he sells.

His off road/ag diesel is "premium no sulpher" diesel. When I pressed him on "no sulpher" he stated "well, almost no sulpher but lower than low sulpher". His words not mine. Also he does not sell regular diesel.

His home heating oil and kerosene is standard stuff for New England.

He also stated that come October/November his off road will be winter blend. He said that he would not use untreated HHO in a tractor once it gets cold but doing so in the summer would be no problem.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #29  
When I went to buy my off-road diesel from a local oil company, the owner told me that what he sells for home heating, and off-road ag use is the same thing, high sulfur #2 diesel. He further told me that he does supply on-road diesel which has had much of the sulfur removed. He emphatically denied that there was any difference other than the sulfur content, red dye and any additives placed for weather conditions. John

/ Diesel Fuel & Storage Questions #30  
Is it legal to use the HHO for your tractor? If so, how do you get it out of the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.