Veteran Member

Default ASK A SILLY QUESTION

I changed the engine oil in my tractor today. recommended oil is a sae 15w-40 api CH-4SJ. I had this in a drum so i drained the tractor oil and went to refill it i was about 1.5 litres(2 and a bit pints) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] short to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. To lazy and to tight to go to town i hunted for some more in the shed, not able to find any the same i topped it up with sae 20w-50 api SJ/CF both were valvoline products should i leave this in till next service or change it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Default Re: ASK A SILLY QUESTION

Vin
    Change it ASAP. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    IMHO. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

I don't really see a problem with it. I've done a similar thing with my truck. Unless it's going to be getting downright cold by you, I don't think it will hurt a thing.

Just my oil-challenged opinion.

Veteran Member

Dave,
    The coldest it gets here is about 26F in early morning and when its that cold i stay indoors till it warms up 55F plus late morning. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]i'm soft

Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX-22

Leave it..... oil is oil.... besides, that is probably the first oil change that the old tractor has had in the last decade. If it starts to knock, put in a little 80 - 90 gear lube. That will firm every thing up... Any more silly questions??????? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Not a significant enough difference to make a problem. Just wait until the next change. I do my oil every 50 instead of 100 as suggested, maybe overkill, but oil is cheap. John

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any more silly questions??????? )</font>

Could he then perhaps dispose of the gear lube by mixing it in with his string cutter gas? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Veteran Member

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could he then perhaps dispose of the gear lube by mixing it in with his string cutter gas? )</font>
    Maybe not, but he could probably filter it and mix it in with his diesel! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] John

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]