Whatcha paying for off-road diesel?

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #21  
Bet we only dream of these prices now!!!! (1.99 in MN now)

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #22  
Paid $2.27 for #1 last week here in the UP of MI. (Pump price)
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #23  
I'm using pump diesel because I don't want the dye and prefer to have lower sulfur. Don't use that much.

Ralph

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #24  
Other than turning your fuel filter red, I haven't heard that the dye does anything else. As far as the sulphur, you are doing your part for the environment. Perhaps I should give you the names of about 40 farmers I know who run the dyed fuel in everything they own, including their large trucks, pickups, and tractors. I have a diesel pickup and I'm as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, that if I run the dyed stuff in my pickup, I'll be stopped by the D.O.T. cops and put in prison for life. So, I'm at least doing my part for the environment with my "on road" diesel powered vehicle. No way I'm paying road tax for my tractor. For off road, I just had a load delivered last week for $189.9.

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Other than turning your fuel filter red, I haven't heard that the dye does anything else )</font>

I know a fellow who bought a new John Deere tractor, it quit on him twice and the dealer came after it both times and said the problem was that red dye plugging the fuel filter. Now obviously the red dye is used by enough people everywhere that if it was the dye, there had to be something unusual about it (too much? wrong kind? age?; I don't know). Neither I nor my real farmer neighbors ever used the dyed fuel because, until a couple of years ago anyway, with the proper paperwork filed, we could buy the undyed #2 diesel for off road use without paying the taxes on it. I think that has changed in Texas now.

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #26  
I've been using the off-road most of the time since I bought my tractor last January, no problems. It's high sulfur diesel according to the fuel man, so I change my oil every 50 hours instead of 100. I don't want the too acidic oil to be in there very long. Maybe overkill, but it's recommended by a lot more knowledgable people than I. I have about 55 gallons left so I'm going to get a sticker shock next time. John

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #27  
Actually, Bird you made me remember something. I have tried the dyed diesel in my torpedo heater in my barn. With dyed fuel, it makes it hard to breathe. With the undyed diesel or K1, it is not hard to breathe. And, yes, the barn is vented in the soffits (sp?) and in the ridge vent. So, dyed diesel does make a difference there.

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm using pump diesel because I don't want the dye and prefer to have lower sulfur. Don't use that much.

Ralph )</font>

Why do they have to put more sulfur in diesel

?

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #29  
<font color="blue"> ( Why do they have to put more sulfur in diesel? ) </font>

Some engines, like the one on my tractor, last longer using more sulfur in it's diesel fuel. Kubota recommends it.

Too bad you found it necessary to reply to such an old thread -- why do you do this?

/ Whatcha paying for off-road diesel? #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">

Too bad you found it necessary to reply to such an old thread -- why do you do this? )</font><font color="black">

Last year he was looking for a place to sell him dyed diesel and now this year he is trying to learn all he can about diesel so that he can be the resident expert on diesel.