New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS?

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #1  

Bob_Skurka

I ran across this article in a trade publication and wondered several things. With the new diesel, will it cause problems with my tractors because I buy road diesel for my tractors. For people who buy bulk off-road diesel, and then put it in their pick up trucks, will that fuel destroy the new emissions equipment on a brand new truck? I am also concerned about the current fleet of diesel engines I have running road diesel and will the new low sulfer fuel burn differently, have the same lubricating properties, etc.

Anyway, here is article:

<font color="blue"> New Diesel Fuel Hits Market in 2006--Will You Be Ready?
September 16, 2004

ALEXANDRIA, VA -- Beginning in the summer of 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will require a vast majority of the on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States to have a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million compared with the current diesel-fuel sulfur-content cap of 500 parts per million. This poses significant production, distribution and marketing challenges for the petroleum industry, forcing retailers to make decisions about their diesel-fuel business. 

NACS has joined with the U.S. EPA and others in the petroleum industry to host the “Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Implementation Workshop” in New Orleans on November 15 and November 16 to address the challenges industry faces. NACS encourages its members who sell diesel fuel to consider attending the event so that they may be better prepared to make critical decisions regarding their diesel-fuel business prior to the 2006 deadline.

Finalized in December 2000 and reaffirmed by the Bush administration the following year, the regulations require a 97 percent reduction in the sulfur content of on-road diesel fuel to enable 2007 and later-model-year trucks to be fitted with special emissions-control devices. Complicating the process, however, is the requirement that only 80 percent of the diesel fuel in the market in 2006 comply with this standard. This essentially introduces into the market a new diesel-fuel formulation that will force retailers to make some choices: Install an additional storage tank to accommodate two, nonfungible diesel fuels, or choose to service only one segment of the diesel-engine market.

A number of questions remain concerning the implementation of this program, which will impact a retailer’s decision. These questions include: 1) How much ultra-low sulfur diesel will be available to retailers? 2) What will be the cost associated with this new diesel fuel compared with current fuel? 3) Who is responsible for ensuring the compliance of the new fuel at retail? 4)  How much sulfur contamination is expected during the distribution process? 5) Will distributors have to employ dedicated truck fleets to handle the new product? 

These questions and others apply to refiners, pipeline operators, terminal operators, wholesale distributors and retailers alike. At 15 parts per million sulfur content, the level of downstream contamination that occurs will greatly impact the availability of product. Compliance responsibility, likewise, could influence a retailer’s ultimate product selection. </font>

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #2  
Bob,
I dunno what the impact on we consumers will be. As to the lubrication qualities of the reduced sulfer fuel...well I was more concerned about that when in another thread a couple of people mentioned that their distributor put gas in the diesel in winter to prevent gelling. One thing for sure though, we will be paying more for the new diesel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ben

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #3  
Bob, I wish I could remember where, but I read an article that mentioned the newer emission control devices would be damaged by a high sulfur fuel.
Also, the lubricity would be different, and additives may be necessary for older equipment. I just can't remember where the article was. John

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #4  
Hi,

We have a diesel with 5ppm foe a few years now. The key as said above for older equipment is a diesel fuel conditioner. NOT THE OLD METHYL HYDRATE any more, it needs additives to add lubrication to the low sulphur diesel.

Take care

Will

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #5  
Not to worry. Road fuel (ULSD) will work fine in older equipment.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #7  
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) is what diesel will be when refineries comply with the sulfur-reduction order signed into law by President Clinton and allowed to stand by President Bush. I don't think it takes effect until 2006 or 2007, though, and it mandated a 97% reduction in the amount of sulfur in diesel, from the current max allowable 500 ppm down to 15 ppm.

Getting rid of sulfur is a GOOD thing for diesels (diesels neither like nor need sulfur in their fuel--read up on it at http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/diesel/dieseltechinfo.shtm or any other good site), but it will cost more. However, reduced oil changes and maintenance may make up for some of the increased cost.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #9  
Hi,

If you think you may have problems , use a diesle fuel conditioner and you wil be ok. When I used to work at a Mjaor service center, one of our regular customers with a Brand new Mercedes diesle car used to always put a small shot of ATF in everytime before feuling, and he never had a problem!!

Take care

Will

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #10  
Won't stink. Will pollute your engine oil less. Gotta color it to tell it from water. Citgo have been selling it for years.

I'm waiting for Benz to finally qualify its stick shift diesels here. My wife's 1983 will need replacing about then; I expect.

All good stuff. Just will cost a tad more, not much. Sulfur removal is one of the cheapest processes in the refinery.

Ralph