Front Diff Oil

/ Front Diff Oil #1  

alvanko

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM186D & Ford LGT14D Dixon Z BX2200D Kubota
Seems like I read somewhere that Kubota uses UDT fluid in the front diff when new. I can't find the thread on this. Anyway , I did a complete fluid change in my Yanmar YM155D. Radiator,engine oil,hy/trans,and front axle (4x4). I think the manual said to refill front diff with gear lube (80-90w) but I drained and filled with Hy/tran fluid . This good for the rear diff , what do you think about using in the front ? I can always drain and refill with gear lube if you all think its a bad idea. I don't see it as being a problem .

/ Front Diff Oil #2  
Yep, Allan, my B2710 came with UDT in the front axle and the manual said to use either UDT or 80W-90 gear oil, and of course, there's not much comparison between those two choices. It seems that Kubota figured just anything you could pour would do. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Front Diff Oil #3  
The front axle on my TC25D uses hyd fluid.

/ Front Diff Oil #4  
I agree witg Bird--My BX22 came with Super UDT hydo fluid in front axle; but, I can use 80w-90 gear oil per the manual. So I put in Amsoil 75-90 Series 2000. Works just fine.

/ Front Diff Oil #5  
When I did my 50 hour service my dealer recommend gear oil.

/ Front Diff Oil #6  
Manual calls for either UDT or 80W90 gear oil on my B2400. I opted for Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. Mobil 1 is compatible with limited slip differentials and as I have Bi-Speed turn, which uses a clutch pack, it fit the need.

/ Front Diff Oil
Thanks everybody . I will leave the hy/tran oil in the front diff. I always have a couple gallons around. Might even change the L2201DT over to it too . It seems to be "lighter" than gear lube and would probably be better in the winter . Always feels "stiff" when its cold .

/ Front Diff Oil
One more question . I drained the front diff and outer knuckles when I did the oil change , then filled through the one large fill plug at the top of the axle housing . Filled with the amount specified in the service manual . I did not fill each outer knuckle separately . I assumed the oil would work it's way to these areas . Am I correct or do I need to fill each outer knuckle individually ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Front Diff Oil #9  
<font color="blue"> Am I correct or do I need to fill each outer knuckle individually ?</font>
Don't know about your tractor, but my TC25D has 3 drain and 3 fill plugs on the front axle, center and at each wheel. The Operator's Manual specifically documents how to drain and fill each.

/ Front Diff Oil #10  
My NH 1920 also had seperate drains and fills for the front 4wd final drives. You may want to check your setup so you don't burn anything up.

Soundguy