Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but on such a large investment as a 990 I don't understand how that's prudent when $10 don't even refill the tank after day's work.
)</font>

That's assuming there is a large difference in the quality of the UTF's in question. Of course the choice is yours.. but the TSC ( and others ) UTF does state it meets the hydaurd specs.

Kinda like i like this brand vs that brand type of a discussion?

For what it's worth.. at the GC I work for we have a few million dollars worth of JD and CAT equipment. Fina TF ( bulk tractor fluid / UTF. etc ) goes in them. We get our 30w, 40w, gear oil, and UTF from our fuel dealer. I've seen no obvious problems over the last 13 years due to a tranny lube failure from a generic oil.

Again.. to each his own.

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #12  
JD fulid is nothing special. This kind of discussion always makes me chuckle -- the thinking that because I have a JD (or Kubota, etc.) I should only use their brand of fluids/filters.

I bought a Sony VCR that had Sony batteries in the remote. When the batteries died, I bought Duracell -- I hope the remote doesn't fail because they are not Sony batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #13  
Hi,

I agree with you on that one. I buy the filters from the dealer just because they have been a great help to us in the past, and I believe in supporting the local guy, but as far as oil goes, I dont buy it there, usually Walmart!!

Taker easy.

Will

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #14  
I support my local NAPA. They have everything I need, tractor and truck, never been to the Walmart SC.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #15  
I noticed the posting dates on most of these comments are kinda of old. I have a JD 4310 that I just changed the hydraulic filters & fluid. Takes 6.8 ga of the Hyguard Low Viscosity. Best price I could find was $73 for a 5 ga bucket. I have tried to stay with JD products for service but almost $15 per gallon is getting expensive, especially if there are relatively comparable products on the market at a more reasonable price. Any updated info on the generiac market would be appreciated.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #16  
I think TSC has a compatible product (ie meet JD specs) BUT I dont know if it is 'low viscosity' or not

brian

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #17  
Thanks - I'll check it out.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #18  
I just bought a John Deere tractor (5083E) and have been trying to do a little research for my upcoming services. The dealer when he delivered the tractor said that the Hy-Guard was the only fluid that he would reccomend using from Deere. Everything else he said just use a good quality oil, grease, antifreeze. But was pretty sincere about using Hy-Guard.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #19  
JD fluid is nothing special. This kind of discussion always makes me chuckle -- the thinking that because I have a JD (or Kubota, etc.) I should only use their brand of fluids/filters.

I bought a Sony VCR that had Sony batteries in the remote. When the batteries died, I bought Duracell -- I hope the remote doesn't fail because they are not Sony batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OEM's establish minimum standards for performance and then they go and award the contract for lubricants to the lowest bidder just meeting the specifications. These guys (OEM's) will kill to save a few pennies using made in China fasteners and you can bet they shave a few pennies off a gallon of lube oil as well. Do you really think that the factory oil is the best product available? Its cheap oil designed to make the oem a lot of money.

I bought a new JD X728SE a while back and its filled with the OEM low viscosity hy-guard hyd fluid (half 1/2 gal extra he gave me for top off). According to the dealer it is very best in the cold. But when its below 10 degF the hydraulic system (has JD 47-in snow-blower on it) is making all kinds of moaning and groaning noises and moving very slow compared to when its around 30 degF. Once it been used for about 15-min or so it start to move faster and stopping making the noises. Dealer came and checked it out, claims that perfectly normal and to be expected in the bitter cold. We will see. He is going to change out the hyd fluid this summer with anything I want to furnish.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #20  
OEM's establish minimum standards for performance and then they go and award the contract for lubricants to the lowest bidder just meeting the specifications. These guys (OEM's) will kill to save a few pennies using made in China fasteners and you can bet they shave a few pennies off a gallon of lube oil as well. Do you really think that the factory oil is the best product available? Its cheap oil designed to make the oem a lot of money.

I bought a new JD X728SE a while back and its filled with the OEM low viscosity hy-guard hyd fluid (half 1/2 gal extra he gave me for top off). According to the dealer it is very best in the cold. But when its below 10 degF the hydraulic system (has JD 47-in snow-blower on it) is making all kinds of moaning and groaning noises and moving very slow compared to when its around 30 degF. Once it been used for about 15-min or so it start to move faster and stopping making the noises. Dealer came and checked it out, claims that perfectly normal and to be expected in the bitter cold. We will see. He is going to change out the hyd fluid this summer with anything I want to furnish.

The companies have their specifications to work best in their own equipment but the problem is people using things not into spec. because the guy down the road said it should work and it is cheaper. How much does is save over the life of a tractor to use the specified transmission oil? How much grief do we have when we substitute a oil and then we have problems, and then we have to figure out if the culprit is the oil or something else. Stay in spec. or don't use it, would always be my advice.

I have a X740 and had a X595 and a 455 previously. I used hi-guard lo vis and never had a problem even in the coldest days with " making all kinds of moaning and groaning noises and moving very slow compared to when its around 30 degF. Once it been used for about 15-min or so it start to move faster and stopping making the noises." Every time, I start the tractor and let it run sitting for about 2 minutes and then I wail it to her.

I think the dealer is just passing the buck. Of course i use ear-muffs and maybe I don't hear it.