Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #1  

JDNineNinety

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 990 2-wheel drive
I have a JD990. I need to change the hydraulic fluid. Is there a generic hydraulic fluid that I can use that will not be as expensive as the JD fluid but will be just as good?

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #2  
I don't find the JD oil that expensive. How cheap do you want to go? I prefer not to take a risk.
But if I was going to take a risk, then probably the cheapest (don't know what is generic) hydro fluid would do. Go for it, pour in the cheapest, and please let us know how it works. If the transmission fails, it will be real difficult to pin it on the hydro fluid, I would suspect. But I doubt it would fail without Deere oil. For sure, not wishing you any bad luck.

Deere has some elaborate oil evaluation laboratories (at least they did in the 50's when I visited their oil lab in Waterloo, IA) and I suspect they are pretty particular about the selection and make-up of their oils. Doesn't mean that other oils cannot be the same, but I won't be finding out. My next 200 hours will have Deere oil for sure. But, I'm a Deere nut. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #3  
Warren AW68 is probably a good choice and is less expensive. Warren products are A#1. John

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #4  
Does your unit use a hydraulic-only fluid.. or does it use the mutli purpose stuff lik ethe jd303/hygaurd stuff?

If the multi oil.. try any universal transdraulic oil that meets the 303/hygaurd stats. Napa and TSC carry a 5 gallon pail of universal transdraulic for about 25$.. and wallmart carries a 5 callong pail of tractor transmission fluid for about 18$. Just check the specs it meets.

My NH tractors use a 134d oil in everything but the crankcase... front axle.. rear diffy.. hyds.. power steering.. etc.. this 134d oil is the same as the 303/hyduard stuff.

You commonly see this refered to as UTF

Soundguy

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #5  
( Napa and TSC carry a 5 gallon pail of universal transdraulic for about 25$.. )

So with HyGuard Low Vis running $35 for a 5 gallon pail (at the honest dealers) you've saved a big $10. TSC is a great store (I was there today /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )selling good stuff but on such a large investment as a 990 I don't understand how that's prudent when $10 don't even refill the tank after day's work.
To each their own /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #6  
Just curious....why do you need to change the hyd fluid after only 90 hours (according to your profile)? Also, no offense intended, why go cheap on the fluid? It's a vital fluid and it's not changed very often. Just trying to understand.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid
Thanks for all of the chastisement I received about the cheaper hydraulic fluid for my 990. My dealer quoted me a price of $55.00 for 6 gallons of low-vis hygard. I'll bite the bullet and stay with the John Deere stuff. I thought the 50-hour service called for the hydraulic fluid to be changed. Am
I wrong about this. I bought the 990 with 69 hours on it and the owner said he had not changed it. I now have 92 hours on it.

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #8  
<font color="blue"> I thought the 50-hour service called for the hydraulic fluid to be changed. Am
I wrong about this. </font>
My New Holland TC25D doesn't call for this until 300 hours, not sure about JD. Might want to ask this in the JD Owning/Operating forum. I am sure someone there knows the answer. Is the maintenance schedule in the Opertor's Manual?

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid #9  
Check other dealers for HyGuard prices. In my area one dealer is $35, 25 miles away another dealer is $46 for the same 5 gallon pail.
The 4000 TEN series requires the transmission fluid to be changed at 50 hours. Your 990 calls for a service interval of every 500 hours to "Change gear transmission oil & filter. Clean transmission suction screen and vent tube". That from the online Owner's Manual at deere.com I believe you're set for another 408 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Generic for John Deere Low Viscosity Hyd. Fluid
Thanks for the timely info. Sometimes I feel like a fool but I just keep plugging along. I'm lucky to have knowledgable tractor friends on TBN to steer me the right direction.