sampling technique.....

/ sampling technique..... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
Here is the question to all the oil tester of TBN. How do you get the oil sample out of your engine to send to the oil testing laboratory? How do you know that it hasn't been contaminated in the process???? thanks.... The oil is oil Junkman.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ sampling technique..... #2  
you follow the process given by your testing lab. If you do it as directed, it will be fine. If you do not follow it correctly,you are getting incorrect results.

The directions are as easy as opening a gallon of milk.

/ sampling technique.....
Please explain what the directions are. I never thought that I would have to ask the question multiple ways to get a simple answer.. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ sampling technique..... #4  
Run your tractor up to normal operating temperature.Pull drain plug. Let oil run out for a second or two. Fill sample bottle . Send for analisis . You want anything in the oil to be suspended in the oil for the sample . You can use a suction pump out of the dip stick hole but draining is easier. Oil change is cheep. I send mine to Caterpillar Diesel . I don't think they check for dirt. Just the condition of the oil and and particulate along with any antifreeze.
There should be a form to fill out for the company with information such as what engine it came out of along with hours,oil brand etc..

/ sampling technique..... #5  
First off, why is this even an issue? It is not rocket science. It is all spelled out with your oil test kit. I never thought anyone would even ask for a process since again it is spelled out by your testing lab.

Without "dumbing it down too much", you do it like you are doing an oil change. But wait about 5 to 7 seconds after opening drain plug to fill your lab container with used oil..

Outside of that, follow your lab instructions or ask the testing lab since they should tell you.

I just do not get it since if you are asking how to take a sample something is wrong. Either you have not selected a lab and do not have the correct container/paperwork or your lab is not up to "par".

alvanko: Labs check for dirt, it is called "si". If you si is like over 25 ppm I would look into another air filter.

I don't have a lab, don't have paper work, never have done a oil sampling, and don't ever have any desire to do a oil test. I was reading a web article about how it should be done, but it required plumbing in a drain port. I was wondering if anyone that does oil sampling had done this. That is why I asked.

/ sampling technique..... #7  
Sounds just like getting a urine sample (catch it midstream), although you didn't mention cleaning the area with a sanitizing towelette before you start. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ sampling technique..... #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First off, why is this even an issue? It is not rocket science. It is all spelled out with your oil test kit. I never thought anyone would even ask for a process since again it is spelled out by your testing lab.
)</font>

chill out... give junkman a break, he asked a question about oil sampling, he didnt imply he was oil sampling, just that he wanted more info about it, its just like if someone was thinking of buying an implement and wanted to know if it could be used to do such and such, would you just tell him to go buy the implement and the instructions will tell you if it can, no most would have the courtesy to give an insightfull answer, not a rude reply. in the time it took ya to post telling his to read the directions ya coulda given a generalization of the proccess

/ sampling technique..... #9  
I am calm as can be.

I did not get it since 99.999% of times you can go online and get the answer on any search engine (about this topic).

It was not rude reply but rather why ask? Since he was reading online why not put that in the original post. There has to be a reason why you are asking.

Also some labs could have a different process and I do not want to lead the person down the incorrect road.

and...general questions get general answers.

Here is the reason for my question. I am quoting directly from the other source that I had received an e mail from.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Samples are often collected from a pressure line after a filter, or from a drain line toward the floor of a reservoir. This is generally because these locations enable easy installation and access. However, these common locations are far from ideal because the 'evidence' may be filtered or settled out of the lubricant, leaving the program with little more than fluid properties information. Sample ports must be configured to enable collection of lubricant in close proximity to the mechanical components in question. )</font>