Suitable hose for diesel

/ Suitable hose for diesel #1  

moosetracks

Tractor
Kubota B7610, Gravely L
I'm looking for a discharge hose for my rotary barrel pump. Is automotive heater hose safe to use for diesel? If not, any suggestions? Also, should I use fuel conditioner for winter fuel storage of off-road fuel? Thanks.

Moosetracks

/ Suitable hose for diesel #2  
I add Power Service to my off-road diesel, I think it's cheap insurance against gelling in cold climates.

Can't answer your question about heater hose I don't know if it would stand up to diesel fuel or not, sorry.

/ Suitable hose for diesel #3  
I'd use a fuel rated hose.. not heater hose. Most stores stock this stuff bulk on rolls.

Soundguy

/ Suitable hose for diesel #4  
Use heater hose it’s cheap, you can make it as long as you like. It will work fine, your barrel pump develops no pressure.

Clamp it to the pump and put a short piece of tubing in the other end.

Then it is easy to plug when you are finished. KennyV.

/ Suitable hose for diesel #5  
<font color="blue"> It will work fine, your barrel pump develops no pressure. </font>
I would use a fuel rated hose, not because of the pressure (I agree, there is none), but rather because of what fuel might do to a heater hose. If the fuel causes a heater hose to degrade, then that stuff gets into the fuel tank. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif For me, why take the chance. Buy the right hose.

/ Suitable hose for diesel #6  
Hello Mike,
I only mentioned the pressure issue for someone that might use heater hose in a pressure application… /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I have used the same heater hose on a small drum for years without any noticeable detraction of the hose… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have seen heater hose used on hydro motor return lines.

He did ask if it was safe to use this type hose with diesel, to that the simple answer is its safe. I know there are specialized hoses for fuel… but for his application it will work fine.

For that matter so will a hydraulic hose… he did ask for other suggestions… he may be able to get a hydraulic line with a threaded end that will take a screw on cap (dust cover). KennyV.

/ Suitable hose for diesel #7  
The cheap clear plastic stuff at your hardware store will work just fine.

/ Suitable hose for diesel #8  
I agree with Mike, there's no telling what the fuel alone would do to degrade the hoses, much less with an additive in the fuel.
But, hey it's <font color="blue"> your</font> injectors and pump. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Suitable hose for diesel #9  
I would heed the warning these guys are giving you about using non fuel rated hose. My TC21 recently had a problem that I have reason to believe was related to fuel quality/contamination. I have been using a 12v transfer pump for about 4 yrs, and earlier this year, the hose started cracking/splitting at the spiral seems on the hose. I just cut off the bad sections as they split. Probably cut it 3 or 4 times.

Seeing this thread made me think about my pump hose. Even though it was fuel rated...>>supposedly<<(bought from Northern Tool)...the deteriation you guys mentioned, kinda hit home!!

I have a new TC24DA and <font color="red"> NOW ... <font color="black">I plan on using Mr Funnel...when I get it, or a paint strainer, for EVERY drop of fuel. I will also have some new hose made for the transfer pump, that <font color="red"> IS <font color="black">fuel rated.

So 'moosetracks', it might be wise to listen to these guys...and as 'hobbyfarm' said: <font color="blue">"But, hey it's your injectors and pump."

<font color="black">Good thread...very useful info!!
Thanks

Bob