Running things once in a while.

/ Running things once in a while. #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
I know that on my truck I was told to run it in 4WD once in a while (like every couple weeks) to move the lubrication around and cover the parts to prevent corrosion. I don't know if this is needed or not, but it sounded like a good idea.

That adivce also got me to run my tractor's PTOs (rear and mid) once in a while (even when I have the back hoe on) and also to put the tractor in 4WD, use the diff-lock once in a while and manipulate all the levers and switches, etc.

Seems like a good idea. I thought I would remind people to do this, but also ask if this is really useful or if the lubrication is such that this type of thing was wasted effort.

Cliff

/ Running things once in a while. #2  
Cliff,

That is good advice. Especially when dealing with lubricants or things that require lubricants. I pretty much run things every so often.

A good example is automotive air conditioning. When they first came out cars in the cold areas the seals would shrink and dry up in the winter months. Come spring there would be no refrigerant in them. Today they run the compressors when in defrost. This helps in two areas, keeps the shaft seal lubricated which then can hold a seal and also helps keep the moisture down in your car.

Now my 2001 Suburban is another thing. It has auto 4 wheel which I don't use in the summer but on occasion in the winter. But for some reason even with the switch in 2 wd it goes into 4 wheel. I have taken it in 3 times and they tell me I am goofy and nothing is wrong. But to this day you can tell when it goes in because you can hear the difference and when you make sharper turns you can feel the two tires in the front fitting each other. If I back up and then go forward it will come out of 4 wheel. Now my Suburban got off the subject, sorry.

murph

/ Running things once in a while. #3  
My NH dealer told me the same thing when I had mt ex-1920.. he said to put it in 4wd and drive it a bit to keep the tops of the gears from pitting.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Running things once in a while. #4  
From the sound of it, you may have a front 4wd hub messed up. I had one that would go in 4wd by it's self one time and that's what was causing it.

/ Running things once in a while. #5  
On a 4WD tractor (or anything without lockout hubs, really) all the gears are turning any time the tractor moves. Locking in the 4WD doesn't do anything to change this situation. PTO may be a different matter. I use mine so much I've never thought about it.

/ Running things once in a while. #6  
PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA. The only thing that never get used on my tractor is the mid pto. have not intention of using it. and think i will leave well enough alone.

/ Running things once in a while. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
That adivce also got me to run my tractor's PTOs (rear and mid) once in a while....

Cliff
)</font>

Come to think of it, I have YET to run my mid PTO. Got the tractor March and I don't even know if it works /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I think it's about time I checked to see if it is working /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Gerard

/ Running things once in a while. #8  
Strange that the dealer gives that advice when not needed?

Soundguy

/ Running things once in a while. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Come to think of it, I have YET to run my mid PTO. Got the tractor March and I don't even know if it works /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I think it's about time I checked to see if it is working /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Gerard )</font>

Gerard,
Don't feel bad. I have yet to run my mid PTO since I got my tractor either. But, mine is 8 years old. Probably should give it a try next time I'm in the seat.

/ Running things once in a while. #10  
On the 1988 and newer Chevrolet 4wd's there are no "hubs" to lock in or out. This system uses central axle disconnect in the front axle( disengages one axle from the differential carrier in the front to prevent "shimmy" when cornering) and either manual( floor mounted lever) or electric selenoid (push button or rotary dial)engagement in the transfer case. With the electronic cases it is useful to engage both high range and low range occasionally to "exercise" the selenoid or servo actuator. My Father in Law had a 1992 Explorer and never used the low range of transfer case. when the SUV was approx 6 years old he attempted to put it in low and the selenoid had frozen and wouldn't engage. Ford dealer said $500 would fix it. I think I can "exercise" the trans case quite a bit for that kind of money!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif