Grease Type

/ Grease Type #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
Is this a decent grease to use for an 8N? I don't know what's good and bad...plus there wasn't much of a selection.

Attachments

• 533781-grease.jpg
    533781-grease.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 258
   / Grease Type #2  
Just about anything will do.. even plain old brown cheapy 89 cent a tube axle grease.

The original stuff was probably a short fiber grease anyway....
And anything you put in now will be decades ahead of what was in their from the factory in the 40's and 50's.

When you are switching greases, it is best to grease untill you push the old grease out, as different soap bases may not be compatible.

Soundguy

/ Grease Type #3  
Yup, for an 8N, about any grease made now will be as good as or better than was available when the 8N was new. One of my best friends is a big time grease distributor in this part of the country and goes on and on and on with me about the differences in greases. There again, he sells tens of thousands of tubes of the stuff a month. From what I can see, on an 8N (I sort of inherited one but don't use it) it would just be important to remember to use grease. Most problems I've seen have been from the lack of grease, not the wrong kind.

/ Grease Type #4  
It's a calcium soap base with a heavy viscosity base oil, it should hold up well for slow moving and wet applications but it won't hold up to heat very well.