Fuel Oil Tank Setup

/ Fuel Oil Tank Setup #1  

pekabu

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC24D
Our Snowmobile club is setting up a new/used fuel tank. We had it sandblasted and painted, and put it one of those leakage barrier things. It's a 500 gallon tank. We want to setup a electric fuel pump on it. The problem is our oil company (that delivers our diesel) wants $1000 to do it.

I've had a standard House oil tank setup using a handpump for diesel before, but I want to be sure on the proper setup of it.

I see Northern has 115v 13/21 gallon fuel transfer pumps for $250 - $280.

My question has to do with getting fuel in, and venting. I assume we would use standard black pipe with a threaded tilted end for fuel delivery hookup. (Just like home heating oil setup). What about the vent, standard Home oil tank setup or is there a special one we should be using.

(Added later: The title states Fuel Oil, but I meant to say Diesel Fuel)

Thanks

/ Fuel Oil Tank Setup #2  
I think you will need to get the vent question answered by a local fuel company- yours or another, unless you can find someone within State gov't to answer that question for you.

I suspect you may find that you will need black pipe of the same diameter as the fill for a vent, although I have always used copper in my home applications and my oil co hasn't complained.
You also need to check on the pipe diameter question. Some areas now require a 2" fill rather than the more standard 1.5"