Diesel Storage Tank

/ Diesel Storage Tank #1  

Jaeger

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota L5030 HST, '94 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD (sold 2011),
I'm looking for a 200-300 gallon tank to store farm diesel. What do you fella's normally use?

I was looking into getting a standard home heating oil tank and building a stand for it. Any ideas or links to manufacturers would be a big help..............J

/ Diesel Storage Tank #4  
The tank set up looks nice. But from a firefighting and insurance point of view ( I work for an insurance company) presents some real concerns. Should a fire occur near the tank, the plastic tank will melt and dump the entire contents onto the fire resulting in a much larger, hotter, spreading fire. A plastic tank like this in a garage or any other structure on fire could result in serious damage and possible loss of the building.

If possible, a tank/drum made of metal should be used and stored outside away from important buildings. A pressure relief device to prevent the drum/tank from over pressurizing and exploding in a fire should be used if near or in a building. See this link for an examples of pressure relief devices. web page

I always recommend metal over plastic even small 5 gallon containers because of the melting and fire spreading concerns. Full scale fire testing conducted by NFPA for large quantities of plastic drums in a warehouse provided some interesting results. The fire tests with an automatic sprinkler system injecting firefighting foam into the sprinkler system failed to control a fire with plastic drums. The melting drums provided too much fuel for the sprinkler system to control resulting in an uncontrolled fire.

Ok I will take my work hat off now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Diesel Storage Tank #5  
The tank in question is a used tote that I got from my bulk oil supplier. They literally have hundreds of them at their facility filled with lubes & various additives. I use the tank & 12 volt pump , which if you look close is skid mounted on a built in permanant skid, on jobs as well as at my own shop. I see similar totes go by my shop ( I'm on a major state route) every day. If they're so dangerous, why does the DOT allow their use ?? Why do they continue to fill it for me ?? Why does my new $40,000 dodge diesel also have a plastic fuel tank ?? Not flaming you !! Just asking ?? .............Tom

/ Diesel Storage Tank #6  
Tom,

Good questions to ask.

I am just trying to give you an idea from a code point of view how it looks at flammable and combustible liquid storage. Will you find places that have a lot more liquids then listed above? YEP!, I see it everyday in my job. I have been doing this type of work for 25 years. If I got a dollar for every time I heard someone say to me it has been this way for 20 years or I have always done it this way I would not need a job! I am only the messenger I did not make up the code I am just telling you what it says. Weather my company decides to take a business owner as a client depends on how close they meet the code. Believe it or not some places meet or exceed the code and as a result pay lower insurance premiums. Underwriter will always write an insurance policy IF they can get enough $$ for it. Some insurance companies have lower standards and will write anything, some do not. Some make more $$$ then others too.

DOT regulates the drums when they are in transport not when they are in a building. Buildings MAY come under the control of State and or local Building Codes since they have people in them. I say may because some parts of the USA have no codes that are enforced. As a rule the more populated the area the greater chance a code will come into play. Building codes are designed to keep the building up long for the people to get out. Most building codes reference NFPA or some other code for how to do something. In NJ we use the International Building Code, it is a loose leave binder about 3 inches thick. But it references NFPA codes that contain ten 3 inch binders.

The following is from NFPA 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code, 2002 edition

So you understand the term flammable and combustible liquids and what these numbers mean this is from NFPA.

3.3.25.2 Flammable Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Flammable liquids are classified as Class I as follows: Class I Liquid — any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C) and a Reid vapor pressure not exceeding 40 psia (2068.6 mm Hg) at 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by ASTM D 323, Standard Method of Test for Vapor Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method). Class I liquids are further classified as follows: (1) Class IA liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points below 100°F (37.8°C); (2) Class IB liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points at or above 100°F (37.8°C); (3) Class IC liquids — those liquids that have flash points at or above 73°F (22.8°C), but below 100°F (37.8°C).

3.3.25.1 Combustible Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Combustible liquids are classified as Class II or Class III as follows: (1) Class II Liquid — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C) and below 140°F (60°C); (2) Class IIIA — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 140°F (60°C), but below 200°F (93°C); (3) Class IIIB — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 200°F (93°C).

Here is what it says how much liquid you can have in your home.

6.5.3 Dwellings and Residential Buildings Containing Not More than Three Dwelling Units and Accompanying Attached and Detached Garages. Storage in excess of 95 L (25 gal) of Class I and Class II liquids combined shall be prohibited. In addition, storage in excess of 230 L (60 gal) of Class IIIA liquid shall be prohibited.

So you have a fire, insurance company MAY not pay the claim based on the above. IF it is code in your town and IF the local FD in the fire investigations sites you for this violation.

Why does my new $40,000 dodge diesel also have a plastic fuel tank ??

Under DOT regulations, NFPA code does not include this amount in the above limits.

6.5.4 Assembly Occupancies, Buildings Containing More than Three Dwelling Units, and Hotels. Storage in excess of 38 L (10 gal) of Class I and Class II liquids combined or 230 L (60 gal) of Class IIIA liquids shall be in containers stored in storage cabinets, in safety cans, or in an inside storage area that does not have openings that communicate with that portion of the building used by the public.

As far as the oil storage facility site here is what NFPA says

6.5.2.4* Liquids in Plastic Containers. Class I and Class II liquids in plastic containers shall not be stored in general-purpose warehouses but shall be stored in inside liquid storage areas that meet the requirements of Section 6.4.

For general industry occupancy it says the following

7.5 Incidental Operations.

Incidental operations are operations that utilize liquids only as a limited activity to that which establishes the occupancy classification. Examples include automobile assembly, assembly of electronic equipment, furniture manufacturing, and areas within refineries, distilleries, and chemical plants where the use of liquids is incidental, such as in maintenance shops, office equipment, or vehicle repair shops.

7.5.4 The quantity of liquid located outside of identified storage areas, such as storage cabinets, other inside liquid storage areas, general-purpose warehouses, or other specific processing areas that are cut off from the general plant area by at least a 2-hour fire separation, shall meet the requirements of 7.5.4.1.

7.5.4.1 The aggregate of the sum of all incidental operations in each single fire area shall not exceed the sum of the following:
(1) 95 L (25 gal) of Class IA liquids in containers
(2) 454 L (120 gal) of Class IB, Class IC, Class II, or Class III liquids in containers
(3) 6000 L (1586 gal) of any combination of the following:
(a) Class IB, IC, II, or IIIA liquids in metal portable tanks or metal intermediate bulk containers, each not exceeding 3000 L (793 gal)
(b) Class II or Class IIIA liquids in nonmetallic intermediate bulk containers, each not exceeding 3000 L (793 gal)
(4) 20 portable tanks or intermediate bulk containers each not exceeding 3000 L (793 gal) of Class IIIB liquids

/ Diesel Storage Tank #7  
Recommend you check the classifieds of your local paper for a 275 gallon tank used for home heating oil. We found two, one was $100. and the other was free, which one do you want? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Diesel Storage Tank #8  
Tom,

Thanks for all that information. I knew the basics and common sense told me not too keep large quantities of fuel indoors, but to read the regs on it, really clarified things.

Just about every auto shop I've been to keeps there storage tanks outside and away from the building. I just assumed it was due to some regulations they are under, but since I'm not in that industry, it wasn't something I know about. I couldn't imagine having hundreds of gallons of fuel inside a building that I lived in.

I was originally looking for a large storage tank for diesel, but they all have such rust problems that I started looking at alternative aproaches. I ended up getting two aluminum fuel tanks off big rigs. They were free, so that helped sway me.

One option I was considering was just welding up some plate steel myself. Weld it up square with welds on the inside and outside seems to keep it tight, then an exterior weld on the lid.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #9  
I was on an insurance board once. Most of the posters were insurance agents.
They bout bit my head off when I told them i keep 5 gallon cans of gasoline in and old deep freeze.
======
They didn't like that one bit,but didn't seem the least bit concerened when I ask if I was supposed to put the cans in the garage and the basement instead.

Never did figure out why storing it in the house and garage is safer than keeping it in the old freezer..

/ Diesel Storage Tank #10  
LB,

Depending on how that freezer is constructed and if you had proper labeling it may be OK. If you read below from NFPA 30, 2003 edition, you can even store the flammable liquid in a wood box! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6.3 Design, Construction, and Capacity of Storage Cabinets.

6.3.1 The volume of Class I, Class II, and Class IIIA liquids stored in a storage cabinet shall not exceed 454 L (120 gal).

6.3.2 The number of storage cabinets located in any one fire area shall not exceed three.

Exception No. 1: In an industrial occupancy, additional storage cabinets, in groups of not more than three cabinets, shall be permitted to be located in the same fire area, if a minimum separation of 30 m (100 ft) is maintained between each group.

Exception No. 2: In an industrial occupancy that is protected by an automatic sprinkler system that is designed and installed in accordance with NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems, the number of cabinets in any one group shall be permitted to be increased to six.
6.3.3 Storage cabinets that meet at least one of the following sets of requirements shall be acceptable for storage of liquids:
(1) Storage cabinets that are designed and constructed to limit the internal temperature at the center of the cabinet and 25 mm (1 in.) from the top of the cabinet to not more than 163°C (325°F), when subjected to a 10-minute fire test that simulates the fire exposure of the standard time–temperature curve specified in NFPA 251, Standard Methods of Tests of Fire Endurance of Building Construction and Materials, shall be acceptable. All joints and seams shall remain tight and the door shall remain securely closed during the test.

(2)Metal storage cabinets that are constructed in the following manner shall be acceptable:

(a) The bottom, top, door, and sides of the cabinet shall be at least No. 18 gauge sheet steel and shall be double-walled, with 38 mm (1½ in.) air space.
(b) Joints shall be riveted, welded, or made tight by some equally effective means.
(c) The door shall be provided with a three-point latch arrangement, and the door sill shall be raised at least 50 mm (2 in.) above the bottom of the cabinet to retain spilled liquid within the cabinet.

(3) Wooden cabinets constructed in the following manner shall be aceppable:
(a) The bottom, sides, and top shall be constructed of exterior grade plywood that is at least 25 mm (1 in.) thick and of a type that will not break down or delaminate under fire conditions.
(b) All joints shall be rabbetted and shall be fastened in two directions with wood screws. Where more than one door is used, there shall be a rabbetted overlap of not less than 25 mm (1 in.).
(c) Doors shall be equipped with a means of latching and hinges shall be constructed and mounted in such a manner as to not lose their holding capacity when subjected to fire exposure.
(d) A raised sill or pan capable of containing a 50 mm (2 in.) depth of liquid shall be provided at the bottom of the cabinet to retain spilled liquid within the cabinet.

(4) Listed storage cabinets that have been constructed and tested in accordance with 6.3.3(1) shall be acceptable.
6.3.4* The storage cabinet shall not be required by this code to be vented for fire protection purposes, and vent openings shall be sealed with the bungs supplied with the cabinet or with bungs specified by the cabinet manufacturer. However, if the storage cabinet is vented for any reason, the cabinet shall be vented directly to outdoors in such a manner that will not compromise the specified performance of the cabinet and in a manner that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
6.3.5 Storage cabinets shall be marked in conspicuous lettering:
FLAMMABLE — KEEP FIRE AWAY.