Diesel fuel, winter blend

/ Diesel fuel, winter blend #1  

Theowegian

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Im sure this question has been discussed thoroughly before, but thought maybe Id post it because of the time of year.

We've had a wonderful cold snap here in the heartland... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...below zero at night, this week and not above freezing during the day.

My gas and oil supplier told me to mix these proportions to prevent gelling in my diesel tractor:

60% #2 diesel fuel
40% #1 diesel fuel

With these proportions, he claimed that gelling would be prevented for most weather we have here in kansas.

Anyone in other parts of the country use this approach, too?

dwight

/ Diesel fuel, winter blend #2  
Your fuel supplier gave you good advice. 60/40 is a good blend for Emporia unless it gets really, really cold, like -20 or so.

Practically ALL fuel suppliers in the country use this approach. It is usually transparent to the end user as the fuel supplier takes care of this. The pumps that say "#2" on them are usually a blend of #2 & #1 in the winter. A lot of people who add additives to prevent gelling think they are buying straight #2 but are unknowingly putting additives in blended fuel, then swear that the additive as what prevented the gelling, never realizing that the fuel was already blended for cold temps.

It is not always the case that fuel is blended, however. It is strictly voluntary on the part of the supplier. Some truck stops continue to carry straight #2 in the winter because trucks with heated fuel systems can run 100% #2 and not have to deal with the power loss and expense of blended fuel. Truck stops are usually good about labeling the pumps that are unblended so you get ample warning. Mom & Pop operations are not always so obliging.

/ Diesel fuel, winter blend #3  
I use the same oil that my boiler uses. My dad did too and never had any problems. Just make sure you keep the moisture down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif