WIX oil filter - better than OEM???

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
I bought a few WIX filters for my BX2200 and I installed the first one yesterday. I really was left wondering why I was switching from the OEM. The WIX was at least as much or more than the OEM (~$7.00). And looking at them, the OEM was bigger, with less empty space inside (presumably empty space is bad as it is where filter element material is missing).

I use Mobil 1 filters in my cars and they are definitly a good filter, but I had assumed with all the buzz that WIX would be the same. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on WIX vs OEM.

I should note that the WIX seemed ok.. I'm not flaming them, but they just didn't seem any better (perhaps not even as good) as the OEM.

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #2  
It is the quality of the material inside a filter that determines if it is better than the OEM filter, not the quantity of what is inside. Since we personally don't have any way of determining what quality of filtering material is inside of any filter, it is usually best to purchase the OEM and allow the tractor manufacturers expertise to guide us. Any new filter is better than a used up old filter, so if you change them frequently enough, there should be no harm. There has been a lot of filter bashing recently, but to date, I have heard no scientific study of any filters to back up this present trend. Many will point to a "study" where a person has cut filters open and examined them internally. Not all filters are the same and you would have to do this with each manufacturers filter in each size group to come up with a meaningful analysis. Even then, he has no way of determining the quality of the materials used in filtering. If you go to that site, you will see this "technical" disclaimer printed, but it is disregarded many times by many people in there reporting of results. Just because a filter screws onto the engine and doesn't leak, doesn't mean that it is correct for that engine. There is more to a filter than just the filtering material. Buy OEM when in doubt.

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #4  
Filter surface area & smallest contaminant particle size filtered are also important parameters. Always go OEM when not sure. That said, I would go ahead & use the two WIX filters you purchased. Seems like WIX has a good reputation on this forum.

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #5  
Tractorsmart.com sells Kubota oil filters for $4.65 , why not just use what Kubota engineers have figured will work on the tractor? If you order a few filters i.e. trans, engine, fuel and air that you will use for the next 12 months, the shipping cost is just a few $.

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #6  
Wix is a good filter. So is Kubota one. I also like Baldwin too. Go with the cheaper of them since they are fine.

/ WIX oil filter - better than OEM??? #7  
I've always used WIX filters and have never had any trouble. They are pretty popular and seem to be up around the top of aftermarket filters. I recently serviced my Kubota and used all WIX filters. My Tacoma has always seen WIX filters. The prices are about the same as Kubota filters. It is simply easier for me. I pass buy a parts store on my way home from work where I can get all my WIX filters for my truck and tractor. My Kubota dealer is about 25 miles away and I guess it beats driving there or buying over the internet. I did however recently order some parts from Tractorsmart.com and they were great to deal with and I think the shipping was $5. So if you ordered some from them and got a few at one time that would probably be a good way to go. IMO, the WIX are great filters and I wouldn't hesitate a bit to use them on any of your equipment.