Red Grease?

/ Red Grease? #1  

Boomer33

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH Boomer TC33D & 1951 Ford 8N
I needed a refill for my cartridge grease gun and visited the local hardware store in Eldred, NY. Vern, the proprietor, advised me to try the Shell Retinax claimning it's the present state of the art and the lube of choice for all heavy equipment operators. I bought it, loaded it and used it on my new mower deck (NH 914A). It came out RED. How can a grease be RED and be of any high standard? Does anyone have any experience or input?
Arthur

Boomer33

/ Red Grease? #2  
Arthur, I picked up some Mobil 1 grease last year to repack our camper bearings and it is red. I have a special grease gun for my bicycle pedals and it came pre-loaded with a marine grease that is blue. Grease is basically just oil with a bunch of thickeners to keep the oil in place. It can come in about any color, depending on the thickeners used and the mood of the petro-engineer behind it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Red Grease? #3  
Arthur
Then you run into a white litho around dry brake parts.
There is a warning on mixing "types" of grease. I wouldn't worry this time on spindle bearings. I would be concerned if you were pumping different types into a $14,000 bearing that put your tractor down.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Red Grease? #4  
Rob,

Just a quick note on "I have a special grease gun for my bicycle pedals and it came pre-loaded with a marine grease that is blue ". I flubbed my dub by mixing marine grease with Lithium a while back. Bottom line is don't mix greases containing different bases . Just a word of caution. If your interested do a search on "Aluminum Complex" in oil and lubricants.

/ Red Grease? #6  
Hey, Rat!

You think maybe it's for use on CHINA Diesels? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

/ Red Grease? #7  
Chineese aircraft use red grease extensively. Its pretty slick the way it works. It makes giant propeller planes chase down their small jet fighters forcing a collision. If you use it on their tractors, same thing except its the trees that run into the tractors, Rat...

/ Red Grease? #8  
And I thought they used it to keep their planes from rusting at the bottom of the sea! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Red Grease? #9  
I found an interesting web page with a chart on compatibility. Of course - doesn't help me find out what type of grease was in the spindles of my BX mower deck before I started pumping in the black Lithium grease. Just says use 'general purpose' grease in the manual ...