Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it)

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #1  

JD2210MAN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
I recently acquired a <font color="blue">Blue Plastic 55 gallon Drum</font> for diesel fuel storage and a <font color="orange">Tuthill pump</font>. After filling the <font color="blue">55 gallon drum</font> with 40 gallons and then pumping 5 gallons into my <font color="green">John Deere 2210</font>[/b], the temp dropped 20 degrees (down to 5 degrees F). The tank had sucked in on two sides. I figured the pump would release the vacuum/pressure. Does anyone else have a plastic drum without a vent? If you know of an affordable vent (I figure a vacuum/pressure relief valve) please let me know where to get it. I searched the internet but I can only find manufactures and high priced units. Please let me know what you other Drum owners do. I went out to take a picture of the drum sucked in but over the last week it appears to have expanded again BUT... it is 10 degrees today. (I attached a photo of the combo but if you want to see it bigger, go to my link below and check it out)

By the way... My wife was all for this setup. No more diesel fuel on her hands makes her smile from ear to ear! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 565984-55_gallon_drum2s.jpg
    565984-55_gallon_drum2s.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 710
   / Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #2  
I might suggest that whatever size extra bung you have in the tank on top, remove it and use a 6" nipple and cap on top. Take the cap off to either fill the tank or fill your tractor that will let it vent correctly.

They do make inexpensive vent assemblies also. I am sure you might find one at TSC.

A tank that is not vented is sure to collapse because of the vacuum that your pump produces.

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #3  
Does your barrel have two bungs? If so, go to the plumbing section of your hardware store and get some fittings to "bush" it down to a smaller pipe size, say 1/2". Then use a 6" verticle nipple, then an elbow, a 2" nipple (horizontal), another elbow and a plug for the elbow. Drill a hole all the way through the plug big enough for a cotter key in the center. That should allow venting and keep out the dirt daubers. Some bungs already have threads for this which would eliminate the pipe bushings. You just have to drill out the blank. If you have one like this just don't drill out the threads.

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #4  
I should add that the end result should look like an upside down j.

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #5  
Anthony,
I used a thirty-gallon drum before I got my larger tank rigged up, and had the pump in the two inch bung. Most plastic barrels have a second threaded bung and I always left it a bit loose. It vented OK and didn't allow trash in.

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #6  
Your barrel looks very much like the one I had, and it sucked the sides in a bit once; not from the temperature change, but from me pumping fuel out. From then on, I simply left the other bung cap a bit loose; just partially screwed in and never had anymore problem and it didn't cost anything. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #7  
Boy yours is fancy with that pump!

I have the cheapo pump, but it works.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/258093-gas%20can.jpg

Note the fill cap in the picture. This may be the solution to your problem. I got mine at atwoods but I think Tractor supply and any place that sells the pickup truck fuel tanks will have it.
These caps have a spring loaded valve in them and wil prevent pressure or vacum build up.

The trick part is that I bet your drum has one butress fitting and one NPT. The vented caps (shinny silver cap in the picture) are NPT as is your pump I bet. So you need to use the other port which is a butress to plug the cap in. The butress is a coarser thread.
This is where a butress to NPT adapter comes in (the green thing in the picture). I ordered a couple on line for ~$5 a piece.
Do a search and you will likely find more than one supplier. I can't recall where I got mine.

Fred

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #8  
As they say, you learn something every day! I knew that the second bung wasn't NPT thread but didn't know what it was called until now.

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it) #9  
Bird, I was going to ask that same question. I don't think it was from temperature drop but more from pumping it out. The temperature drop may have just helped the situation out. I would just take the other plug out while pumping and then put back in when done. This way there is no vent for allowing moisture to get it. Diesel fuel will suck moisture.

murph

/ Plastic drum for diesel fuel (venting it)
All good suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The two that stand out most are
1) Making an upside-down "J" vent with the smallest of holes.
2) Simply removing the 2nd bung when filling the tractor.

After hearing your comments, it would appear that pumping 5 gallons out would create more of a void then the vacuum caused by the cold. Cold may have contributed but not a big factor. My 2nd bung is the "Buttress Fitting" as Fred said. I would never have known the name but luckily Fred has enlightened us, makes it easier to discuss when you know the name. I have not located an adaptor yet but will continue looking. There are not a lot of stores up here in VT either (so the internet or NAPA).

My other concern is the sun. I may not be able to put this Drum into a shed for a year or two and don't know how much pressure the sun could build up if I use the "remove the bug while pumping" method. I cringe at the idea of leaving it loose so... the "J" vent looks the cheaper and fastest method but what will actually happen with the transfer of moisture? I do have the 3/4" threaded hole in the "Buttress" Bung (where I put a cast plug as it was knocked out).

I know I went all out when I had my wife get me the pump for Christmas. I can't stand to get diesel on my freshly waxed tractor and my wife can't stand the smell of diesel, what wife does? So, when I suggested we get a drum she was all for it. Hey, you only live once so do it this time! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It looks like, for now, I will try removing the 2nd bung while pumping and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your suggestions.