Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil?

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #1  

tomrscott

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
The JD 790 manual specifies JDM J20D Low-Viscosity HyGard oil for hte transmission/hydraulic oil. Is there another product that is as good or better?

Is this a heavy gear oil, or is it like engine oil? The manual doesn't give any other specs for it. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #2  
The only other product John Deere typically recommends is J20C which is regular John Deere HyGard. The oil is thin like engine oil. Which oil to use is based on your climate as Low Vis is good to below 0 whereas regualr HyGard is better above 86 degrees F. For the front axle I run Low Vis.

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil?
I was just thinking that if there was a premium synthetic that would reduce wear and was compatible with the seals, I'd be willing to pay some extra for it. My usage of a tractor is, "sit too long betweeen usages, and run it hard for brief periods," seems like a good place for a synthetic if there was something compatible.

I saw something at the Napa store, that was called "Premium Tractor and Hydraulic Oil," or something like that. I think it was $23+ for a 5 gal bucket, but I don't think it was anything special, did say it met JD Hygard specs.

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #4  
I found on Valvoline's web site a list of specifications for all their products. Valvoline Premium Universal Tractor Fluid meets John Deere J20A, J20C, J14B, J14B, J14C, J21A, and 303.

Valvoline Spec

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #6  
Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF meets Your specifications

Chevron Synthetic All- Weather THF

I hope this helps!

BTW: It is Orange in color /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #7  
Whatd this stuff cost for a five??

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #8  
According to poster Rat, it is a little cheaper than Kubota Super UDT, which costs around $35.00 taxes included for a 2 1/2 gallon jug.

I would think a 5 gallon pail would be not hardly double that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #9  
I paid as memory serves, about 12.50 or 13 dollars a gallon or $65 for a five gallon bucket. It's orange, it doesn't have much odor and seems to do all the things it claims it can do. My climate is mild so I was less concerned about the cold weahter issue but then, I'm really bad at letting things warm up for any period of time so it's kind of like insurance.

Oh yeah, the 5 gallon buckets are pretty too available in a rich blue hue with a nice spout and breather hole. It's a keeper for other things.

/ Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil? #10  
Walmart's Supertech meets the J20C&D spec. That's what I used.

Is this still up to date? I live in CT and am looking for something with low viscosity. The Supertech says it meets J20C but nothing about J20D.

I have some time before I need to change the oil, but like to be prepared.

Thanks!

El