Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tractor
    JD 790

Default Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil?

The JD 790 manual specifies JDM J20D Low-Viscosity HyGard oil for hte transmission/hydraulic oil. Is there another product that is as good or better?

Is this a heavy gear oil, or is it like engine oil? The manual doesn't give any other specs for it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Gold Member

Default Re: Substitute for JDM J20D Transaxle/Hydraulic oil?

The only other product John deere typically recommends is J20C which is regular John Deere HyGard. The oil is thin like engine oil. Which oil to use is based on your climate as Low Vis is good to below 0 whereas regualr HyGard is better above 86 degrees F. For the front axle I run Low Vis.

Tractor
    JD 790

I was just thinking that if there was a premium synthetic that would reduce wear and was compatible with the seals, I'd be willing to pay some extra for it. My usage of a tractor is, "sit too long betweeen usages, and run it hard for brief periods," seems like a good place for a synthetic if there was something compatible.

I saw something at the Napa store, that was called "Premium Tractor and Hydraulic Oil," or something like that. I think it was $23+ for a 5 gal bucket, but I don't think it was anything special, did say it met JD Hygard specs.

Tractor
    John Deere 2210

I found on Valvoline's web site a list of specifications for all their products. Valvoline Premium Universal Tractor Fluid meets John deere J20A, J20C, J14B, J14B, J14C, J21A, and 303.

Valvoline Spec

Tractor
    Kioti D65C

Walmart's Supertech meets the J20C&D spec. That's what I used.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF meets Your specifications

Chevron Synthetic All- Weather THF

I hope this helps!

BTW: It is Orange in color [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Normandy Park, WA and Randle, WA recreation property
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST with fel, rfm, rear blade, overhead light bar, customized grill guard and reinforced bucket with chain hooks, rear remote for 3 pt. tilt cylinder

Whatd this stuff cost for a five??

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

According to poster Rat, it is a little cheaper than kubota Super UDT, which costs around $35.00 taxes included for a 2 1/2 gallon jug.

I would think a 5 gallon pail would be not hardly double that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

I paid as memory serves, about 12.50 or 13 dollars a gallon or $65 for a five gallon bucket. It's orange, it doesn't have much odor and seems to do all the things it claims it can do. My climate is mild so I was less concerned about the cold weahter issue but then, I'm really bad at letting things warm up for any period of time so it's kind of like insurance.

Oh yeah, the 5 gallon buckets are pretty too available in a rich blue hue with a nice spout and breather hole. It's a keeper for other things.

Tractor
    John Deere 1023E

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkRoy View Post
    Walmart's Supertech meets the J20C&D spec. That's what I used.
    Is this still up to date? I live in CT and am looking for something with low viscosity. The Supertech says it meets J20C but nothing about J20D.

I have some time before I need to change the oil, but like to be prepared.

Thanks!

El

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast