Portable Generator Oil Recommendation

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #11  
Ibid for me: Mobil 1 synthetic. It's either 0w40 or 5w30. It doesn't use any oil. Stays full.

I plan to change it once/year or so. Run it once/month for about 10 minutes with a light load but full rpm.

Ralph

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation
It looks like overwhelming you all like Mobil 1. You sure you aren't a bunch of Mobil salesman??!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #13  
I worked for 31 years in lube oil process engineering for Exxon and was privy to the research work done on lubricating oils by Exxon. They found that Mobil 1 was the best. It was the one that we sought to emulate with dino oils.

Once I retired and EM combined, I started using the best and didn't feel like a traitor any more.

Ralph

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #14  
Majmac, no I have nothing to do with the oil industry. I stated that I used mobile 1 in my genny and I do, but the best oil on the market in my humble opinion is Red Line. It's a higher grade and I know that it will take a beating for an extended period of time. The thing is, I like to change it yearly and sometimes it may have only been run for an hour or so. It's less expensive to use the mobile 1. If I run this thing a lot I'd run Redline. Luck to you teddy

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #15  
I use M1 in all my gas engines and Rotella syn in my diesels.

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #16  
I just crossed the 1000 hour mark on my Porter Cable 5500 watt generator. I have used Mobil 1 since breakin (after 10 hours). I use 10w30 during spring/summer/fall and 5w30 during winter...hit -20F here this winter and it started on first pull. Haven't touched the engine other than spark plug, air and gas filters.
My son is now driving my old 1996 Chevy Tahoe that I gave him two years ago with 265,000 miles on the 5.7L engine. He now has 310,000 and going strong. Never has had the engine apart on it other than to replace the intake manifold seal.
I REALLY believe in Mobil 1 !!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That said I will either use a good grade of regular oil or go with the syn. I'm still trying to decide. Maybe the syn would be a good trial although the generator doesn't get much use.)</font>

My owners manual says that regardless of the type of oil used, it needs to be changed at the specified intervals. Gerard

Attachments

• 596330-IM001635 95%.jpg
    596330-IM001635 95%.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 301
   / Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just crossed the 1000 hour mark on my Porter Cable 5500 watt generator. I have used Mobil 1 since breakin (after 10 hours). I use 10w30 during spring/summer/fall and 5w30 during winter...hit -20F here this winter and it started on first pull. Haven't touched the engine other than spark plug, air and gas filters. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

?#1. What kind of motor does it have.

?#2. How often do you change the above mentioned.

?#3. Do you use a fuel stabilizer.

Thanks. Gerard

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #19  
My Porter Cable generator has a 9 HP Honda engine. I try to change oil between every 75 and 100 hours. I don't use fuel stabilizer only because I run the generator every weekend...it is my main source of power at a remote cabin. If I was going to store the generator for a month or more, I would definitely use stabilizer

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #20  
Thanks Dave246. I've heard a lot of good things about the Honda engines. Mine is a Briggs & Stratton 10HP OHV. Hope it serves me as well as yours has for you. Gerard