Portable Generator Oil Recommendation

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #1  

MajMac392

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234, John Deere X300 Riding Lawn Mower
I've got a Honda Generator with a 8 HP Honda motor on it. I haven't had to change the oil until its use this weekend for about 27 hours. I put Castrol in it previously. Is their better oil to use in a small gasoline engine? Is synthetic any better? Generators seem to use a little oil so if it uses very much the synthetic could get expensive. I know this is a CUT forum but thought this might be a good place to ask this.

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #2  
others may disagree but i would use whats on sale using a name brand.

i usually buy the enough for the year for all my equipment so i do not mix different oils.

buy a couple cases on sale.

synthetic has its believers and its uses but i personally have not used it and all my stuff is still running.

just my .02

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #3  
I am not sure, but I ran my 5500W gen for one tank with the oil that came with it and then changed to Castroil synthetic. I figured I would be most likely to need it when it was cold and since it is pull start it might pull easier with the synthetic. Also it does not hold much so the cost for the synthetic is minimal. will let you know how it turns out. I have only run it for a couple of hours since the change.

Ben

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #4  
I put Mobile One in mine the last time I changed it. teddy

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #5  
I second the use of Mobil 1. Cheap insurance.......J

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #6  
As long as you are dilligent in changing the oil, any "normal" oil will work just fine. Synthetics are good oils but they do not "agree" with everything.

The main advantage with syns is that they are formulated to withstand very high oil temps, and they do.

After the Mobil 1 fiasco (Cadillac vs. Mobil Oil - Cadillac's faulty engine but Mobil paid for them), 20 years ago, none of the oil manufacturers and distributors will tell you to ignore the engine manufacturers recomendations.

One of our trucks is a GMC HD with a 454 gas. It has 200+ on it and never had a problem. It gets 7 qts of synthetic, Mobil or Castrol, whatever is available EVERY 10,000 - 12,000 miles. The truck does 200-300 miles per day and taking it in for an oil change once a week is almost impossible (We do not use quick lubes). Still purrs like a kitten.

On the other hand, we also have International diesels (T444E) that we only use 15-40. 5 gallons (not qts) of synthetic gets expensive. A couple have more miles than the GMC.

My suggestion is to try it. Watch for leaks (synthetic is fussy about seals). If you do not see any leaks after the engine has run for some time, you are okay. If in doubt, just use a high grade oil SAE-SH rated motor oil and you still will be okay.

I hope this helps.

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation
Thanks for all your input. I feel Bugsy is right on the mark. If you are conscientious and change the oil as required most oils will probably do just fine. I got rid of 1987 Chevy Celebrity 2.8 liter wagon 4 years ago and it had 352,000 miles on it. Nobody believed me when I told them or they looked at the odometer. I changed the oil at 3000 miles for the first several years of use and then finally went to a 4000 mile change. The engine ran well and didn't start any amount of oil seepage on the garage floor to well over 200K. The best car I have ever had and it just had consistent, routine maintenance performed. The engine was never torn down or the tran. It was overcome by that New England cancer called rust so I finally begrudingly got rid of it. That said I will either use a good grade of regular oil or go with the syn. I'm still trying to decide. Maybe the syn would be a good trial although the generator doesn't get much use.

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #8  
Gas generators can run continuously at high RPM. They are also called upon in bad conditions like ice stroms.

I would baby it and use a good synthetic like Mobil 1. That's what I use in mine.

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #9  
My generator with the B&S engine requires me to use 30 weight oil above 40 deg F and 10W30 below 40 deg. However you can use a synthetic across the entire temperature range. I generally only change oil once a year on the generator since it is only used for power outages, I use Mobil 1 and one oil will work all year around.

Bob Ripley

/ Portable Generator Oil Recommendation #10  
I run Mobil1 synthetic, 0W30 and change the oil annually. Some years my gen set gets tons of use, (50+ hrs), other years hardly any. I do start it on a monthly basis and put a load on the generator for 10 - 15 minutes.