changing hydraulic fluid

/ changing hydraulic fluid #1  

twinstackram

Silver Member
Tractor
international 234
I'm getting ready to change all of my fluids in the tractor I got last fall,I have used the tractor one time then the weather turned off cold,but it definately needs done,my question is,when changing the hydraulic fluid will starting the tractor and letting run a while warm up the oil to drain or do I need to drive the tractor around? oh yes it's a hydrostat drive.

/ changing hydraulic fluid #3  
Wait till warmer weather when you can use it and get everything hot. A few more hours on the meter isn't going to matter. The last time I checked, the tractor police were too busy stopping speeding tractors to check to see if the oil was changed exactly at the specific hour that it is supposed to be done.. I won't tell if you won't...... Junk

/ changing hydraulic fluid
junkman,I don't want to run it to many hours,the tractor when I bought was super clean, Igot it home started checking it out took the air filter out and thought I tap the filter to clean it a little bit ended up with a small pile of turkey feathers,I have all new filters and fluids,just waiting for the weather to break,but it's driving me nuts I'm ready to get it going.
I took the old air filter out to put in the new one, and the old filter had sticker with a sticker with chinese or japanese,so I guessing it was the original filter. The tractor is like an 84' IH234,little scary huh.

/ changing hydraulic fluid #5  
I thought I read somewhere that the IH 234's were badged Mitsubishi's..? If so does anyone know which Mitsu engine those had?

/ changing hydraulic fluid #6  
If it is a 1984 and no one has changed the oil in it since then, then a few more weeks isn't going to matter at all. Many replacement filters have foreign writing on them when purchased from the brands dealership. Hydro oil, unlike engine oil doesn't get as much contamination usually. Moisture is the biggest problem and that is easily recognized by the milky look to the hydro oil if there is moisture in it. How many additional hours will you put on it in the next 4 weeks... by April 15th (tax day) it will be warm enough to do a full service comfortably....

outlander1,I think it has K3B.

/ changing hydraulic fluid #8  
I just changed the oil in and transmission fluid in my tractor and I thought I would pass on something new I learned from it. When you put on the new filters (hydrolic and oil) fill them with the appropriate fluids first. My Long 2510 had a large hydrolic filter and at first I didn't do this and none of my hydrolics worked. So I asked around and my mechanic friends said to always fill the filter first, they said they even do it in their cars when they change the oil, that way you are running with no oil circulating for less time. It took me forever to get all the air out of the system. See my post below about three point hitch not working.
JR

/ changing hydraulic fluid #9  
This is a great tip, but on my Kubota, the filters spin on with the sealing face at a horizontal position. In this case, it is either very messy or impossible to do without draining them in the process. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thats the way mine is junkman,how quick are you with your hands.