Air Grease Gun

/ Air Grease Gun #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Last year I bought a Lincoln Air Grease gun. I thought it would be a good one, but after a few tubes of grease, it stoped working.

I returned it and bought one from Northern Tool. It worked great until about a month ago. It stoped working.

Next I bought one from my local discount tool store. They sell off name brands mostly, but also have some good deals on name brands. This one was made by Ingersol Rand. I had high expectations. It lasted a few weeks before it died. It didn't die all of a sudden, but each time I used it, it was harder and harder to get it to pump grease.

Last week I went to Sears and bought their Profesional model air grease gun. First couple of tubes through it went just great. Today when I reloaded it, nothing happens.

I can't get it to pump grease.

This is becoming too common for it to be all the manufacures who are screwing up. Now it's time to look at the operator.

What am I doing wrong?

/ Air Grease Gun #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It worked great until about a month ago. It stoped working )</font>
Do you mean the pump won't cycle or it just won't put out grease ??

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I reloaded it, nothing happens. I can't get it to pump grease.
)</font>

It sounds like you may need to purge the air from the gun.

/ Air Grease Gun #3  
I tried two air grease guns from Northern. Each one lasted through one hay season.

I bought the Lincoln Air Grease gun 3 years ago and it's still working great. I run about 15 tubes a year through it and I've had to purge the air out of the Lincoln once. That was because the grease tube was empty on the end for about an inch. I do remember reading the first model they made had a sealing problem. I'd buy another in a heart beat. That sucker will move some grease. Just hold the trigger and let er rip tater chip. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you checked your air tank for water? And did you use some air tool oil in those grease guns?

In 2003 we had the wettest year on record. I do remember my gun slowing down from normal. I drained the tank and put a few drop of air tool oil in and it solved the problem.

At my workplace they use the cordless and air operated Lincoln guns. They go through several cases of grease per week. The grease man will fight you if you try and borrow his Lincoln guns. He'll lend out the old hand pump guns and grin. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Air Grease Gun #4  
How high is your regulated air pressure set to??
When I bought mine, I remember the air requirement being about 15-20 psi. Now, my compressor is never set that low and I knew I wouldn't dial it down just to use the grease gun.
In two years I have probably used it 3 times- it always seems to be more convenient to bring the pump version to the implement in need.
It wouldn't surprise me if I forced too much pressure through it, but I haven't had enough experience yet to have it fail.

/ Air Grease Gun
I'll have to check my tank for water.

I use a few drops of oil when I first use it.

My compressor is set at 120 psi.

How do you purge the air from a grease gun?????

What does the air valve do on the top of the grease gun?

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Air Grease Gun #6  
I have a air and a couple of manual guns. I just finished using the air a couple of hours ago. Neither of the hand, or the air, work well when it is cold. Don't know if you are in a low temp area, but I use my magnetic block heater on the gun for about a half hour so the grease will be able to flow. When the temps outside stay above 70 degrees, no problem, when they are below 40 degrees all of my guns won't flow without heating first. Hope this helped,
Chris

/ Air Grease Gun #7  
I have a plastic squeeze bottle full of Air tool oil sitting by the compressor and I always give each tool a shot at the coupler before I attach the air hose. It keeps the internal mechanism lubricated and wards off rust and jamming from within. And it only takes a couple of seconds to give each tool a shot of oil. Try it you might like the results.

/ Air Grease Gun #8  
You are going through a lot more grease than I do, so you must have a lot more experience that I do. However I am very cautious to always set my output air pressure to the recommended 60 psi before connecting my grease gun. That would be my only possible suggestion - to follow the recommended pressure setting. Good luck.

/ Air Grease Gun #9  
Eddie

My Lincoln cordless stopped or rather would not feed when I changed out the tube of grease. It turned out that the tube I put in had a void or gap in the grease inside the tube. This was one of a carton of tubes that had been on the shelf for quite a while. I fought with it for several days then changed it out for a fresh tube, bled the air carefully and went to work.

Vernon

/ Air Grease Gun #10  
It is funny too me, how I watch these boards and see the same problems I am having pop up with other folks. It is kind of nice to know it is not just me.

I just bought a Plews air grease gun to replace the el-cheapo that gave up the ghost last year.

We have started running a stump grinder that sucks up about a tube of grease every 4 hours or so of operation. It was getting real old to do it by hand so I spent the extra $$$ to get the plews.

I have shot a couple of tubes through it, and sometimes it is flawless, and sometimes it just stops shooting, then after playing with it a bit I get it going again.

Mine just had a note in it for instructions that said do not exceede 130 PSI.

Anyway, here are my current thoughts.

What folks said about temp I think plays a large role.

How the "pusher" rod slides up through the tube plays a role.

I think part of the problem with the air guns is I get "trigger happy" and just keep pulling it and I basicly "suck" a void into the top of the grease cartridge cavity. I think if I would wait a second between shots, and keep the grease warm, it would keep working. I think that the "gun" mechanism is working, it is the feed too it, that is the problem.