Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
What has happened to Amsoils fluid. GSX posted in my previous post:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By looking on Amsoil's new website today....

AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is recommended for the replacement of, but not limited to, the following oils:

ARCO Tractor Fluid; BP Tractran UTH; Case Hytran; Chevron Torque Fluid; Chevron Tractor Hydraulic Fluid ; Conoco Power-Tran III Fluid; Conoco Farm Master; Gulf Universal Tractor Fluid; John Deere Hy-Gard; Kendall HYKEN 052; Kubota Super UDT ; Lubrication Engineers 7500; Lubriplate UTF C-4; New Holland, Ford M2C134-D & FNHA-2-C-200.00 & 201; Mobilfluid 300, 350 and 424; Pennzoil HYDRA-TRANS; Phillips HG Fluid; Royal Purple SYN-TRACTOR III WG; Shell Donax TD
)</font>

but when I visit Amsoil's site, I can't find anything of the sort and it still looks like the fluid is 30 weight.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #2  
   / Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #3  
I just bought a bunch of that very stuff. Haven't switched it over yet, but as soon as I get a chance ....

I currently have JD low viscosity Hy-Gard in my tractor. It's supposed to be good for cold weather and when I asked my dealer about putting a transmission oil heater in, he said it shouldn't be necessary. He hadn't heard of anyone needing one with the low vis. oil. Well, the cold definitely DOES make a difference even with the low vis. stuff. At least the cold we get up here .... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, its synthetic all the way now. We'll see next winter how much difference it makes, but it sure can't hurt.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #4  
I also have 15 gallons of the Amsoil Synthetic Hydraulic fluid as well as 15 gallons of Kubota SuperUDT.

I am putting the Kubota SuperUDT in my L39 with GST transmission at the 50 hours break-in mark.

I am putting the Amsoil Synthetic in my L-3130 GST at the 800 hour mark. So far so good since the first 50 hour change-over on this machine.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #5  
What are you looking for? You can use Amsoil fluid in any application (hyd wise) that calls for Super UDT or UDT. I contacted Amsoil and talked with Darryn and Ed (manager).

The super UDT spec covers more then hyd fluid and that is why they state only UDT. As Ed told me Amsoil ATH far exceeds Super UDT requirements for Kubota hydraulic systems.

The difference between UDT and Super UDT has nothing to do with the quality of the lubricant. It has to do with the super UDT spec and what other things (applications) Super UDT can be used it . non hyd wise.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #6  
I have 5 gallons of Amsoil ath that is marked as 30w. In fact, the ath designation is actually 5w-30 and will replace both Kubota udt and super udt. Until recently, the product was marked only 30w. The Amsoil designation ath is the key and that formulation has not changed over the years.
I am switching all my lubrication needs for both gasoline and diesel engines over to Amsoil. I have had excellent service with the diesel oil for my tractor and based on that I am switching my bar and chain oil, generator crankcase, tractor HST, Ford escape and subaru all over to amsoil synthetic. The extended drain period is interesting but with all the $$ invested in my toys er I mean tools, I am mainly interested in keeping all of the machinery running smoothly.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #7  
<font color="blue"> The extended drain period is interesting but with all the $$ invested in my toys er I mean tools, I am mainly interested in keeping all of the machinery running smoothly. </font>

I agree completely. It just doesn't make sense to me to put cheap oil in expensive equipment. I've always used synthetic oil in my vehicles, but now that I've learned more about oil (thanks to TBN), *everything* is getting synthetic - truck, tractor, garden tractor, quad, etc, etc. Amsoil happens to be an excellent oil for a not too outrageous price, and I can get everything I need at one warehouse where I live, so that's what I'll use from now on.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200
Up until recently, I would disagree. Amsoil fluid was not specified as multi-grade, and as such did not meet the Super-UDT or NH200 specs, both of which are for a mult-grade fluid. As it appears it is now multi-grade, and should provide better low-temperature operation (what I am looking for) than the previous 30w version, I guess it will do the job.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The difference between UDT and Super UDT has nothing to do with the quality of the lubricant. It has to do with the super UDT spec and what other things (applications) Super UDT can be used it . non hyd wise. )</font> Are you sure? I thought Super UDT, like NH 200, is multi-viscosity, vs NH 134 and UDT which are 30w?

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #9  
I am not stating anthing on my own. All stated is what I was told per Amsoil's TS manager. If you have questions please call them.

Per Amsoil, as I noted, you can use their fluids in any hyd application on Kubota that calls for Super UDT or UDT. As far as the NH 200 spec you will need to call them.

/ Amsoil Syn Hydraulic Fluid vs Super UDT or NH 200 #10  
I'm not sure what spec or test Kubota has for Super UDT oils or if any other oils have met or exceeded these specs. This you will have to research further.

What I will say is that Amsoil typically "recommends" their particular product for applications requiring "xyz" spec based on their own spec or word, but have not had them tested by the mfr that developed the spec.

I know there's a lot of politics here, and red tape etc. Allison for one has a TES 295 spec that their Transynd fluid meets. Amsoil "recommends" their Torq Drive fluid for this application, but it has never been tested by Allison who developed this spec. Now in fairness to Amsoil, Allison/Castrol have stonewalled Amsoil on the testing of their product so Amsoil reverse engineered it and now claims it meets this spec.

Amsoil has a good reputation for making a fine quality product, but it should be known that many of their oils do NOT have not been API certified to meet the mfr spec requirement, and we are relying on their word.

Same with API certification. Go to any bottle of engine oil on your shelf (excluding most Amsoil products) and you should see the API symbol. This ensures that it meets the specs set forth for the particular classification (ie CI-4)

http://www.ppcouncil.org/apimarks.htm

I'm not saying Amsoil is bad, I'm just pointing out that when using Amsoil you are relying on their word that in their testing it met or exceeded the criteria.

When using an API certified oil, you are relying on the certified tests performed to mfr spec by the standards set by the API.

YMMV...

Status
Not open for further replies.