Horsepower/Acre

/ Horsepower/Acre #11  
Mis-inform is a possibility. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I only have a 1/2 inch impact wrench in my 50 x 90 barn, but after determining that it won't take loose most bolts with heads larger than 1 1/8 inch no matter how long I set on the tractor (er impact wrench), I was planning to buy a 3/4 inch impact wrench. Do you think that would be too big a wrench to own on 10 acres or do you recommend that only people with 40 acres have 3/4 inch impact wrenches? LOL /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre #12  
JimBinMI, like most surveys, it won't get any useable information because it's too hard to formulate questions that result in valid answers./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The simple answer is that I have 10 acres and a 27 hp (20 PTO hp) tractor. Of course, it gets used occasionally on my brother's 10 acres, once in awhile on my brother-in-law's 10 acres, I regularly till a garden for one neighbor, occasionally hire out to move or spread a little dirt and/or gravel, till a garden, pull a trailer, or mow a pasture; sometimes for money, sometimes for friends. So, for some things I bought more tractor than I need, and for some things it ain't big enough, so I'm glad I've got some farmer/rancher neighbors with big tractors when I need more power, even if they are Oliver, International, and John Deere brands./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Horsepower/Acre
Wen,

I think you need a bigger air compressor! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
You see, things are not always as they seem! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Horsepower/Acre #14  
Yes, I need a bigger air compressor. Also need one that is portable. Also need a 3/4 inch impact wrench that is about equal to a 6 ft cheater bar. We got the springs out of my son's truck with a six ft cheater bar. It is a FORD but the engineer forgot that rubber bushings should not be next to catalytic converters! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Made a heat shield, replaced the bushing, and put it back together. Took a couple of hours. The dealership wanted $400 labor to do both of them. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre #15  
Bird,

We missed that big rain and now it is 95 degrees with strong winds. I am sure that I will have to re-plant the coastal in January. The whole process takes a lot of setting on a tractor, which I enjoy, but don't consider fun. Takes about 30 hours running at PTO speed to till it up twice, the sprigger takes a 100 HP tractor to pull it or a little smaller with 4WD (I can pull it ok with 68 HP) and it only requires one set of hydraulics to operate. Leveling it afterwards only takes about 4 hours. I guess you can pull the fertilizer spreader with 18 hp (just pull it a little slower), but I couldn't pull it up the driveway without 4WD with my wife's Cherokee, so it is pretty heavy. They recommended 40 HP or better to pull it in plowed ground.

Now looks like I get to have all that fun again, unless I can talk JimBinMI into doing it in the off season. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre
Wen,

Off topic! But while you're at it how did you know that 18.5 New Holland HP = 68 Kubota HP??/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Horsepower/Acre #17  
Wen, this weather is really crazy, isn't it? Earlier in the month, when I thought we were going to get a good rain, the storms split and went by on either side of us and we didn't get a drop. Then on the 19th, when I thought it was all going north of us, I got 3.17". It was high top rubber boot time in the garden Sunday, and now with the bright sun, strong wind, and I only have 92 degrees, the surface of the ground is already dry and cracking. Looks like it's time for another 3 or 4 months of miserable heat. Good luck with your coastal.

Bird

/ Horsepower/Acre #18  
If you're as big and heavy as I am, and it took a 6' cheater bar, you may have to go to a 1" impact wrench./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Horsepower/Acre #19  
Hi guy's
I gave this a bit of time milling it over and have come up with this way of looking at JimBin's post,it comes down too
"i may" "i want" "i need"
if you say "i may "grade the road ,mow the grass when you get up ,dont need alot of Hp as the job is a sideline to the running of your farm's
if you say"i want"to flaten that bank of dirt ,mow a field you would look at a Hp range that may be a bit big for small light jobs but can still do them
"I NEED" to get my crops in on time, you would find your Hp is over the top but you cover a lot of ground in a short time.
Hp/acre is a hard call to make and i don't think you will find a magic number that you could go by,so much comes in to it <your free time,hill's, what you are doing(just mowing or ground work), price and gear you already have to use on a tractor> on price you might find a new 30 Hp tractor for (say)10 000 but just next door your farmer friend is selling his older 80Hp with Av hours for 4 000 and some of his gear is for sale too all up it would cost you under 10000 what would be the better buy???if you made a list from light jobs to the hevest and look where they fall you may find you have a lot of light jobs and a smaller tractor would do all of them but work's harder or just takes longer to do the big job.Or you may find most of your jobs are at the top end and need a bigger tractor to do them but it is just ticking over to do the light job .
CYA
JD Kid

/ Horsepower/Acre #20  
Just counting my own land 45hp tractor L3750 and 59 acres of land come out to .762 hp per acre. Now if you start counting all the arces that my tractor really works it would be much lower than that.
Gordon