UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #1  

honeycutt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320, L175, RTV900
I have an older L175 (Kubota). My question is, which do I use. What's the difference between the them? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #2  
I don't know about your tractor.. but there is a big difference between UTF or gear oil, and plain hyd oil. A hyd oil.. like aw32 or 46 is just that.. hyds oil.. jack oil.. etc. It's not meant to be use din a common sump situation where there are trannies and diffies.

More commonly in a common sump you use a UTF.. with limited exception. Where you have seperate hyds, trans, and diffy.. generally gear oil is specced in the diffy.. again.. there are exceptions. Some older tractors use a heavy 90wt oil in their common sump.. and some newer tractors spec utf in all sumps even seperate ones.. final drives.. etc.

Hopefully someone familiar with your unit can tell you.

If I had to make a guess with no info.. I'd go with UTF.. it is spec'ed for final drives hyds, power steering, and transmissions.

Soundguy

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #3  
Soundguy

I was pretty shocked to see that the BX manual states you can use the Super UDT fluid or the SAE80 SAE90 gear oil in the front axle case. The UDT is super thin and I couldn't imagine using it like this. I plan to use an full synthetic 80W90 from Royal Purple in it.

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #4  
Matthew, this topic has come up before with Kubota manuals. My '99 B2710 also said UDT, Super UDT, or 80W-90 gear oil. It came with UDT in it. Some think the heavier (thicker, higher viscosity, or however you want to describe it) 80W-90 provides better protection, while some think the thinner UDT or Super UDT can get into tight places that the thicker stuff might not. Personally, I think either one will get into everything that needs lubricating, but as to whether one is better than the other, I have no idea. I just decided that since it came with UDT, when I changed it I put UDT back in it.

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #5  
Your right Bird. All it has to do is provide lubrication. There are not "shock" loads like those that a high speed differential often is exposed to. While you might think that because a tractor pushes dirt and tears things up it will need a thick film of protection on the front differential, you do not, no more then you do for the rear end or for that matter, the manual transmissions found on todays tractors that all share the hydraulic oil with the hydraulic loader etc. As far as what oil the poster needs, I suggest a trip to TractorSmart is in order

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #6  
I agree about not a huge shock load but what about acid protection, pour point, surface coating, etc? There is still loads on the gears and I persoanlyl want protection.

I went with Amsoil's Series 2000 for a long life fill...aka fill for life in my book.

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #7  
Mike, its fine to put just about anything in their. As far as acids go, I don't know a thing about that other then to say, if your front differential is acid prone, what about the whole hydraulic system that pressurizes to 3000 psi, runs far more gears, lubes far more critical componets etc including the rear end? I tend to trust rather then second guess the manufactuer's recommendations. If anything, they are more concerned about ensuring their warranty period and their goodwill is entrusted then saving 12 cents on oil for the front axle. Don't you think? I get this feeling that folks tend to get a "feeling" about what oil is or isn't then the actual facts. I am sure with this, you can certainly agree. I know when I change my oil I have a "feeling" that my engine is now running better, imaginary or not.

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( was pretty shocked to see that the BX manual states you can use the Super UDT fluid or the SAE80 SAE90 gear oil in the front axle case. The UDT is super thin and I couldn't imagine using it like this. I plan to use an full synthetic 80W90 from Royal Purple )</font>

Doesn't shock me inthe least. NH has been using its m2sc134 UTF "one size fits all' type oil for years. it is specced in power steering, tranny, diffy, hyds, and final drives. The front 4wd axle, and both final drive cases on my ex-NH 1920 had utf in them.

It's the addative package.

Given the change intervals on the diffy.. I'm not sure what you are gaining using a synthetic oil. utf flows good cold. My guess is you are just lining the oil companies pockets with cash.. etc.

Certainly won't hurt anything though. Might have better moisture absorption/mixture characteristics .. etc.

Soundguy

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #9  
Basically because I get it all for free. I run it in the motorcycles and really liked it. For the price of a 5g bucket of Super UDT, I might eventually switch to it for everthing less the motor.

/ UDT Hyd oil or SAE 80w gear oil #10  
I agree Rat, I know that Kubota will use a HUGE safety factor to aid on there end.

For the price of Amsoil 2000 fluid when I bought it, it was not higher then Super UDT; plus Amsoil had the cool blue!

But I also like that fact that it has Mil-PRF-2105 or 2104 in it. Anti-rust additives.

I say what I did since there are gears in the front diff, not hyd. So I use a gear fluid for gears and a hyd fluid for the hyd system.