EP-90 Gear Oil

/ EP-90 Gear Oil #11  
Hi SimS,

Hit the wrong button. Posted to the wrong thread. I moved the original question to a new thread.

/ EP-90 Gear Oil #12  
I just run 80W90 gear oil in my PHD, Bush Hog, and Finish Mowers gear boxes. I have not changed the PHD yet and I have had it for 5 years now but it probably only drilled 100 holes. The BH gets it every other year and the Finish Mower at the end of every season but I use it a lot, about 75 hours a year.

Chris

/ EP-90 Gear Oil #13  
I put some moly disulfide mixture in with any place i put gear oil, FWIIW. No problems either way in decades.

Mike

/ EP-90 Gear Oil #14  
I'm sure there are EP 90 straight grade gear oils sold. Normally though, you will find 80W/90 in GL-5. Gl-5's are for steel gears on steel gears, the EP additives arn't corrosive on steel, like they would be on brass or bronze gears after the oil heats up in use. Straight 90 grade gear oils that I usually see, are called mineral oil 90, a GL-1 type that would be suitable for yellow metals. Fuller Transmisions are an example of a GL-1` in 90 grade application in lieu of 50 grade motor oil or synthetic 50 tranny oil.

/ EP-90 Gear Oil #15  
lately it has been easy to get 80w90 gl5/mt1 oils that are yellow metal safe... I liek that because some of the 90wt gl1/3 oils are getting harder to find thru regular supply routes.

napa still has gl1 90 under 65-205 #.. but tsc stopped carrying their ?gl3 equivalent.

soundguy