Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 790

Default EP-90 Gear Oil

I bought a Speeco phd at TSC today. The transmission comes without oil. The owners manual says to use EP-90 lube oil. I've searched the world over without a solution as to what to get. I called Speeco and they could not tell me what to get either. When I didn't accept this they took my number and called me back. They guy actually told me they called TSC and TSC recommended something I've already forgotten. Anybody have a suggestion? I also called Mobil Oil and the tech asked if it was Gl-4 or Gl-5. I'm familiar with those but don't know what to use. I'm a little put out that the manufacturer couldn't supply me with the info. Kinda makes me wonder if the unit is quality built.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Default Re: EP-90 Gear Oil

You should be able to use a SAE 90 oil which is a GL5. I use a Royal Purple synthetic oil in a 80W90 and it is also a GL5. I was just at Advanced Auto Parts and they had the SAE 90 and so did Walmart. I use the 80W90 in all the gear boxes and change it once a season in the snowblower and the mower gear box.

Tractor
    KAMA/TS354C 35HP 4 cyl 4 wheel drive

Any auto store should have EP90. It's what gets put into auto differentials. Every auto I've ever been in had it.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

The question in my mind is the Gl-4 or Gl-5. From what the guy at Mobil told me and what I read on google searches they are used for the same thing but different applications. Supposedly GL-5 has a high sulfur content and is not compatible with "yellow metals". Bronze, brass,etc. The Chevron Oil site has numerous warnings on using Gl-5 where Gl-4 products are specified and vice-versa.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I bought a Speeco phd at TSC today. The transmission comes without oil. The owners manual says to use EP-90 lube oil. I've searched the world over without a solution as to what to get.)</font>

The answer was right in front of you. On the oil isle at TSC.. there are quart bottles of both ep90 and ep190 gear oil.. they are traveler brand.. black bottles with the convienient little pointy nose. The look like a regular quart of oil...

I used the ep90 for my pto generator gear box.. etc.

Soundguy

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Yep, You are right. Today I went to a different TSC from where I bought the PSD. Asked for EP-90 and the guy took me right to it. Just to satisfy myself I went to the other TSC and looked. Nothing. Asked the store manager, he looked and then looked in the computer. They were supposed to have it but didn't. Oh well. Thanks for the replies. Can always get help here.

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

That is correct about Gl-4 and GL-5. Gl-5 is not compatible with bronze or brass.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, HST, LA854 Loader with QA bucket

I did a Google search for EP 90 and found this older thread! I bought a Speeco PHD at TSC and saw the instructions said to use EP 90 lubricant. My local TSC did not have EP 90 on the shelf. I asked a sales person at TSC, and they had no clue. I called Speeco, and they called back promptly and said I could use any gear oil. In fact, they said the gear box is such that you could probably use motor oil or grease, but they recommend gear oil.

Since it will only take a quart or two and will not need to be changed often, I am taking a friends recommendation and spending a few extra bucks for Mobil 1 gear oil.
    Kubota L4240, HST, R4 tires, LA854 Loader with QA bucket, United box scraper, Speeco FarmForce Post Hole Digger

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i'd dump in some 75w90 syn from a quart bottle.. though any generic 80w90 or 85/140 would do.

soundguy

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710DT

BXTotal;

I too used to think about biodegradable oil but then I figured that I would not be putting the oil, new or used, into the environment. All my used oil goes into the recycling tank at the county facility. I'm wondering why you are thinking of biodegradable oil. Or are you contemplating bio sourced oil? Just wondering....

SimS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast