Oil for Diesel Engines

/ Oil for Diesel Engines #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
In the not-so-old days, any decent, and many indecent, motor oils carried API rating for gasoline AND diesel engines. I have been using regular SF or whatever the high rating is now in my Kubota B2100. I glanced a the oil bottle and realized that they have dropped the diesel rating. They changed the rules on me!

Is there any real difference between oils for gasoline vs diesel engines these days? Are diesel rated oils readily available; the local chain mass market parts store guy looked clueless when I asked if they had it.

Are the gasoline rated oils good enough for my Kubota? Have I risked any damage by using non-diesel oil?

Regards,
Ortis

/ Oil for Diesel Engines #2  
SP rated gasoline oil are bad for diesels since they do not suspend soot particles and all those abrasives wear down everything in the engine, get a CI4 rated compression ignition rated oil ASAP.

/ Oil for Diesel Engines
Thanks - Is that hearsay or a fact.
Why the name "Skypup" Aviator or jumper?

/ Oil for Diesel Engines #4  
I agree, and SF was an old spec I thought? Around 1980?

I know the new diesel spec is CI-4 (2004 spec) but based on Kubota you could use CD, CE or CF spec oil and be fine. SO I would assume (bad here) if you have a 2004 or new machine use the CI-4 but if before that, the other old spec can be used and be fine.

You can use a diesel oil in a car but not a car oil in a diesel. It comes down to the add pkg are higher in diesel for variuos reason, (soot, solids, acid etc) are all higher in diesels.