RED diesel question?

/ RED diesel question? #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I see alot of posts on RED diesel and non RED. I never knew their was a difference. I see that RED is 'off-road' and not taxed. How do you buy that or do you have to buy in bulk to be able to buy the off-road diesel.

/ RED diesel question? #2  
Typically off-road diesel is purchased in bulk. Ours is delivered to a 275 gallon bulk tank.

However I have read where some TBNers have purchased it in 55 gallon drums that they have taken to be filled themselves.

There is a substantial savings in purchasing off-road diesel, just don't get caught using it on the street or bad things might happen.

/ RED diesel question? #3  
Matthew,

According to the dealers I buy from up here, the only difference is the dye they use and the taxes you are not charged for. It may be different in PA, but I would be surprised if that if it where the case.

In Maine it is quite common. I know some truck stops can pump it for you. We use to get non road taxed fuel for our generators from any Ryder Truck Stop. Also check with your local farm bureau, I am sure they can find you a local source.

Gary

/ RED diesel question? #4  
Scrounger,

I stop at a place that is about 20 miles from my place to buy the off road diesel fuel. I usually get 20 gallons per visit, and try to make the stop when I am in the area anyway.

I think the price difference is about 40 to 50 cents per gallon, but that is not the motivation for me. The place that I get the fuel turns over enough that it is always good quality and water free. They also fill school buses and other government vehicles in the area, which frankly surprised me when I saw it the first time...off road fuel in on road vehicles???? Seems to be so, at least in that area.

The one time I bought on road fuel from a different place I was shocked to see a fair amount of water in the quart jug I was using at the time to check for water. What I was doing was taking the last quart of fuel out of the fuel can, and putting it in a glass jar, and letting the water settle out. I found a surprising amount of water in the one five gallon of on road fuel I bought closer to home, but never even a drop in the off road fuel I get from the place I mentioned.

If you ask around you may find a source of off road that sells in small quantities. It may not be a one call, let your fingers do the walking type experience, but I bet you can find a place. After you do, one place is all you need if they proviced quality fuel like the one I found does.

Happy hunting! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ RED diesel question? #5  
I went to my local fuel oil supplier with two 55 gallon drums on pallets. They filled them and I off-loaded them at home with my bucket forks. I saved about $.50/gal by buying the off-road fuel.
The fuel oil dealer made sure that I knew his off-road was high sulfer. This may not be the case in every location, but it will be dyed red for detection if used in an on-road vehicle.
John

/ RED diesel question? #6  
I live in a rural farming area. The general store 4 miles from my house has Gasoline (one grade - 87 Octane), kerosene, and offroad diesel. I've seen offroad diesel pumps in more urban areas at places like BP, Marathon, and Speedway. It's there you just have to look.

/ RED diesel question? #7  
My gas station has it at the pump, no hassle. Still overpriced but its cheaper than on road for the tractor.

/ RED diesel question? #8  
Scrounger,
The easiest thing to do is buy home heating oil. It's the same as off-road diesel fuel. Get yourself a 275 gallon tank with a pump and have it filled. You should have enough fuel for sure. Buy when the price is low. I have the same setup in my tractor barn and I use the same fuel to heat the barn in the winter from the same tank.

Bill

/ RED diesel question? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Scrounger,
The easiest thing to do is buy home heating oil. It's the same as off-road diesel fuel. Get yourself a 275 gallon tank with a pump and have it filled. You should have enough fuel for sure. Buy when the price is low. )</font>
I wonder if there is a difference in the price between home heating oil and off road diesel. Yes, they're the same product, but I wonder if there's a little more tax on the home heating oil?
I forgot to mention that I got the cheapest price by buying at least 100 gallons. Would have cost me several cents more for only one 55 gal. drum.
John

/ RED diesel question? #10  
John,
Now that you mentioned it, I'll have to check on my local prices. The nice thing is that I have it delivered right to my barn /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Bill